Whaley at Whale beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Manly
January 22nd 2011
Published: January 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

21 January 2011

We awoke again to glorious sunshine streaming in through the open French doors next to our bed. We already had a plan for the day, the displaced idea from yesterday - namely to go to the world famous Bondi beach. We also wanted to try another of the ferry services to/from Watson’s bay and our first decision of the day was which order to do our visiting.

We headed out onto the Manly ferry and headed into Circular Quay. En route passing a huge empty tanker of some kind that dwarfed our ferry, and the ferries aren’t that small.

We got to Circular Quay and our timing meant it far more sensible to come home via the other ferry as opposed to head that way now, with this in mind we got onto the bus in the direction of Coogee beach. The bus leaves from right by the ferry terminal and our go everywhere tickets were once again earning their worth.

The air con on the bus was refreshing making the 20 minute ride a sightseers delight. We passed some impressive buildings in the centre of the city before venturing past the
The huge ship on the horizonThe huge ship on the horizonThe huge ship on the horizon

if you look carefully
racecourse and finally reaching our destination after about 20 minutes.

Even before we had reached our destination at Coogee, Lou had spotted a large ship on the horizon, and when we disembarked we could easily see that the monster sized vessel we had passed in the harbour had also reached Coogee but by a very different route, it still loomed large on in the distance.

We had headed to Coogee so we could walk some of the eastern coastal path back to Bondi. On my previous visit to this part of the world I had spent a night here at a friend’s place - and I was keen to show a couple of infamous nightspots to Lou as we passed them.

Our early start meant that we were setting off on our walk from Coogee and it was still only about 10:30am so we first had to apply some sunscreen. Whilst doing this we looked out over the beach and the junior lifesavers competing/being entertained at the end of the school holidays here. The smell from the BBQ wafting past my nostrils nearly stopping the walk before it started.

The coast path here, is the equal
The Coogee Bay HotelThe Coogee Bay HotelThe Coogee Bay Hotel

musci and beer drinking venue
of any I am familiar with from home. As you round each dramatic headland/point another beach/bay comes into view with blue water and a beautiful and accessible beach unfurls before you. Each of these has its unique selling points but all are decent. I suppose the one thing it is truly missing is any form of remoteness - every beach has plenty of people. The ease of access to this part of the coast makes for a very well looked after path with a clear commitment to it’s upkeep. At one point we were walking past a graveyard with the most spectacular cliff top view, on a suspended walkway, that would not have been cheap to create. The other thing that crossed my mind was the fact that anything like this walkway at home would fall into disrepair in one winter due to our much harsher climate.

We stopped briefly at Collaroy beach to grab a drink, then again at Bronte beach (no relation to Charlotte or any of the other sisters to my knowledge) to sit under an overhanging piece of cliff in the shade for about 10 minutes. Whilst we did this we watched a 100% staged rescue, by one of the liofeguards, just because they had a load of cameramen there. I assume the next series of Bondi rescue will talk this up as a real rescue - each to their own.

Our walk was nearing the end and after 3 separate sunscreen application stops and the various other breaks, when we rounded the last headland and Bondi was revealed to us over two hours had passed. By the time we actually reached the beach via the beachside swimming pool another half hour had flown passed.

We took in the scene, and despite my slight fib that the walk would only be about an hour to Lou previously, on reflection both her and I were really glad we had done it as not only was it beautiful, but had we arrived at Bondi on the bus it may well have been an anticlimax - it after all only a big beach.

Lunch was the first thing on our minds after we arrived and we had both agreed earlier that fish and chips was the order of the day. Whilst looking for somewhere we popped into a cheap seaside shop and after a very
A rare one of usA rare one of usA rare one of us

with Coogee point in the background
quick decision I was the owner of a brand new $20 pair of sunglasses. We only had to go next door to find our lunch, two fish one chips lunch special, which was very good value.

We took our wrapped up lunch to one of the many benches and sat to eat it overlooking the ocean. With lunch done we headed to the bus stop to get our bus to Watson’s Bay. We knew that the ferreis back from Watson’s to Circular Quay aren’t very frequent during the week and the last one can get full quickly, so we were aiming for the penultimate ferry at 14:55.

We got the bus at the second attempt and got to Watson’s bay with enough time to have a quick view of the park, and then join the already rather large queue. We managed to worm our way to near the front of the line (all that time in Asia’s “queues” must have done us some good) and therefore got a really good seat at the front of the open section of the ferry. We thus had some great views all the way back to Circular Quay.

Getting off one ferry we swapped back to the now familiar Manly ferry, and headed for home. The walk had really taken it our of us, and we were both pretty tired. Once back at the flat, Gos arrived back from work and we had a chat before opening a couple of beers (at least he and I did). On Anna’s return from work she cooked a lovely risotto, which was just what the doctor ordered.

This had opposite effects on Lou and I, namely her feeling even more sleepy whilst I perked up somewhat and being a Friday night, Gos and I decided to go out and view some of the sights of Manly.

Before leaving the flat we had a discussion about Manly being a slightly snobby area and the fact that I had no trousers at all in my “wardrobe” may be a problem. We couldn’t do much about it other than go and try to get in places and see what the results were, so off we headed.

We managed to get into 4 out of the 5 places we tried, which was a pleasant surprise, and when we came home at only about 12:30 both the girls were asleep. Good night all round it seems.

22 January 2011

Our Saturday morning lie-in was not going to happen with the Manly sunshine waking us up early again. I shouldn’t moan as it is truly gorgeous but with a slightly dry mouth from the beers the night before, waking to a really hot morning wasn’t what I had hoped for.

A shower and some brekkie soon sorted that out though and then we decided that as Gos and Anna had a couple of viewings for noe flats to go and see we would head out and take a look about the sights and sounds of Manly on a Saturday morning. We weren’t disappointed either as we managed to peruse a street market selling a variety of items, most of which Lou would have purchased had I not had the money in my pocket, and also the most traditional of Australian events: the Surf Lifesaving Carnival.

I am pretty familiar with this almost uniquely Aussie event having taken part in a couple in my time, but I have to say seeing one again, and a huge one at that was a pretty
Birds on a rockBirds on a rockBirds on a rock

at Clovelly point
impressive sight. Along the whole length of Manly beach were people in speedo’s of various colours with their particular surf club emblazoned across their bums.
Everywhere were boards, skis, and surf boats. In the water are rows and rows of buoys for the various events to swim/paddle round. It really is a big deal here, and they are very serious about it - the men and women look, as Anna said, “Like they’d hurt your finger if you poked them, as they are so buff”

Anyway, after our morning wanderings we returned to catch up with a bit of admin until the guys got back from unfortunately an unsuccessful trip out for their viewings.

After lunch Gos, Lou and I headed out in the car to go back up the Northern Beaches to Whale Beach. We had left Anna behind as she had a work commitment on Sunday on live TV on a shopping channel. As such she wanted to do some preparation (can’t blame her). In fact this TV appearance had been playing on her mind for a while as it is not part of her normal role and she really didn’t want to do it.

We had a brief stop en route at a surf shop where Gos bought another board, and then on to the beach. As we arrived we looked for a place to park up but couldn’t find a spot other than in the pay car park. After we had stopped we realised why, there was a wedding about to take place on the beachside (much to Lou’s joy - she loves weddings!) Gos and I went in the sea for a swim/play on the new board, complete with camera footage on my waterproof camera, whilst Lou lay on the beach in the shade of a few large evergreen trees reading a magazine she had purchased that morning.

What seemed like five minutes but was actually about an hour later we emerged just in time as Lou was nearing the end of her trashy read. At the same time the wedding party were just assembling on the beachside, so whilst Gos and I dried and changed, Lou took some pics.

With this all done we headed home, and had dinner, another BBQ with steak on the menu. Australia is spoiling us for food that is for sure. After dinner I had agreed to help Anna with her upcoming TV performance and as such I acted as the TV presenter to Anna’s “domestic Goddess” ( as the presenter described her the next day) I wasn’t very good but Anna to her credit did very well even with me trying to fluster her a bit (only so she would be perfectly prepared ) By the time this had all been concluded it was time for bed, another good day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Lou in the front seat of the ferryLou in the front seat of the ferry
Lou in the front seat of the ferry

sheltering from the sun


Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0846s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb