The blow hole that wasn't


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » South Coast
February 22nd 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

BerryBerryBerry

Directions anyone?
Day 5 of Roadtrip: Berry - Kiama

Left the Drawing Rooms just before lunch time, but not before making a food-refuel stop in Berry at the Emporium. The Emporium is owned by a French ex-pat that has the most delightful accent; une mélange de français et Oz. Very bizarre but discernable. Once again, I ordered the old reliable - BLAT and a cappuccino. To accompany this, I went for the gusto (hey, I'm on vacay!) and had a chickpea salad. And I must say, it's one of the best chickpea salads I've ever had! But then again, everything always tastes better when someone else makes it for you. The flavours burst on my palate... everything was so fresh. YUMMMMMMM...

Also located in Berry is Nelson's. Nelson's is a butcher shop with a big sign proclaiming it to be the 2005/06 NSW Sausage Competition Champion. Of course, we're intrigued. Sausages are very popular in Australia and they have all different sorts. Dave has this "brilliant" idea of purchasing a few dozen (!!!!) to bring with us to barbecue on the houseboat (more on that later). So we select a few flavours; sundried tomato and garlic, fresh herbs, chilli and
BerryBerryBerry

Lunch at The Emporium.
mint, chocolate and vanilla... I can't remember. Honestly, I was googly-eyed from the selection and starting to get a stress headache. How in God's name are we supposed to cart fresh meat up the coast in a non-airconditioned van on a drive that takes three days? More on that also later. We also ended up with some product called rissoles. Rissoles are basically huge meatballs. Picture a hamurger before it's mashed into a patty shape. Don't ask me why they just don't call them giant meatballs.

Our next destination is Kiama. There's not really much to recommend Kiama except that it's on the way back to Sydney. There is a blow hole and a lighthouse. Both were not working when I was there. Hmph! And then it started to rain. Double HMPH!!!

After checking out the major landmarks and walking to the video store to rent a movie (SEE, I told you there was NOTHING to do here!), we watched the local rugby team practice. Sorry ladies, there wasn't even eye-candy on the field for me to report back.

OK, Kiama isn't totally without its charm. It has a lovely ocean pool and Dave took some great
KiamaKiamaKiama

The famous blow hole of Kiama.
shots.

Tomorrow we're back in Sydney for one day before heading up the east coast. We haven't killed each other so far, so keep your fingers crossed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

KiamaKiama
Kiama

From another angle.
KiamaKiama
Kiama

The Kiama lighthouse.
KiamaKiama
Kiama

Sunset at the ocean pool.


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb