Port Stephens Dolphin Watch NSW Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Port Stephens
October 17th 2007
Published: October 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post



We’ve just been on a mini dolphin watch cruise at Nelson Bay on the mid north coast of New South Wales. Photographically it was not very successful because the boats are not allowed to go nearer than 100 metres to the dolphins and not having a super telephoto these pictures will be a bit fuzzy. These are estuarine bottle nosed dolphins that live in the Port Nelson bay.




















After the cruise we visited Fingal Point.






And had a look at Barry Park in the same area.






This seems to be a dormitory town for Newcastle, they’d never be able to have house like this in the big city but why do they have to put them so close together.






This Little Wattle Bird agreed to pose for us.






This is the local surf beach and is very popular at weekends with visitors from Newcastle. On the day of our visit there were two coach loads of visitors from South Korea, they spent most of the time marching around in a group pushing anyone else out of the way. Australians did this overseas in the seventies until they learnt to adapt.






Later we visited Lemon Tree Passage and found this butterfly, it’s a cousin of the North American Wanderer but has been isolated so long that they are probably genetically unique.






You might be able to see three little dots in this picture; they are F111s from the nearby Williamstown Air Base and were practising some kind of manoeuvres. It was quite interesting at first but it went on for 2-3 hours and we could not stand it any longer so had to leave.






We stayed at this YHA in Port Stephens for three nights. Rather a nice place in among the wild bush.






We had a private cabin with an ensuite, not bad for a YHA, this was our bedroom.






And the cabin among the bush.






This was our balcony






And the view as we had breakfast






For those on a budget here is one of the dormitory cabins






In the evening we cooked and ate in the communal area, this is very open and surrounded by bush.






The office with an Internet Café on the table.






Even a swimming pool.



It may not suit everyone but we do enjoy staying at YHAs, we meet some really nice and interesting people from all over the world.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb