Narooma NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Narooma
April 22nd 2023
Published: April 24th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The name Narooma is said to be derived from a word in the local Yuin Aboriginal dialect meaning "clear blue waters", and it certainly lives up to its name. A township was surveyed at the present location of Narooma in 1883 and given the name Noorooma, which it held until 1972. It was declared a port in 1884.

We were initially disappointed with the location of our Discovery Caravan Park out of town heading south, however, a short walk through the park to Handkerchief Beach put paid to any disappointment. The beach was clean, the water was clear and blue, there were hardly any people on the beach and at the right hand end of the beach was a tidal creek running from Nangudga Lake.

Eurobodalla Shire Council and NPWS have done an excellent job with their walking tracks down the south coast. We were able to cross Nagudga Creek at low tide, and do the Plovers Lane Walk totalling 7.2 kms return on our first day. A magnificent cliff edge and beach walk on a clear blue sky day. I did notice a slight drop in the ocean temperature in my swim and snorkel at Bar Beach Rock Pool the next day.

A visit to this area of the South Coast is not complete without a drive to the quaint villages of Central Tilba and Tilba Tilba. They reminded us of Bellingen up the North Coast. After enjoying a muffin at the local bakery, we drove to Mystery Bay and walked 4 kms return along 1080 Beach. Strange to name a beach after a deadly fox and rabbit poison.

With sunny days aplenty, we walked down to Nangudga Creek and floated/snorkelled down with the outrunning tide at least four times one morning. The water was cool, but crystal clear, and fish were in abundance. Later we drove into Mill Bay and did the Board Walk along the river, seeing seals and large sting rays. The seals were just floating in the water near the jetty, and as I was “Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay”, two seals floated up beneath my feet, where they stayed for at least half an hour.

We had read about the coastal walk from Kianga to Dalmeny, and set out to do the walk on Saturday morning. The walk follows the coastline, and it is a tribute to the local community that came together to build it. The two metre wide concrete path was built entirely with volunteer labour and runs for six and a half kilometres. An amazing community effort, that has left a lasting legacy for this beautiful section of coastline.

From every beach and headland in the Narooma area, the view is dominated by Montague Island nine kilometres offshore, and we will never forget our boat trip, seal snorkel and tour of the island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.289s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb