Artistic Snails and Generous Neighbours


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Moruya
March 9th 2014
Published: March 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We slept in and then decided to take it easy and just drive around and look at some of the scenery and beaches, today. The first spot was Torugay Point Lookout, which had a small historic cemetery with just a few broken headstones and, nearby, a picnic table. We had some lunch, shared a very small piece with a friendly magpie (bread is not good for birds) and then looked out over the sea. Another tourist spotted a seal in the water so we went to see. It was bobbing up and down in the swell all by itself and kept disappearing, to fish presumably. It was very hard to spot as only its head showed most of the time.

After lunch we went down to Shelley Beach, where there were a few swimmers and sunbathers, despite a cool wind. The beach was nice and sandy so I took my sandals off to walk on it and discovered that it squeaked with each step, (great fun and yes - I'm a big kid). We found some rock pools that had little fish, a quite large crab and hundreds of snails coloured from white to brown and everything in between, and
Torugay PointTorugay PointTorugay Point

An Australian Magpie wanted to share our lunch
of a wide range of patterns. The snails were creating artistic designs on the rocks as they crawled through the sand that was on them, which looked very strange.

Once we got back to the van, we noticed that the fresh water tank was reading empty so Barry got our old camping fold-up water carrier out of one of the lockers under the van and went down to the large concrete water tank that contained the only fresh water on the site. A short while later, there was a honk outside the door and when I looked to see why, there was a car with our now full water carrier sitting on its bonnet and Barry bringing up the rear! He’d been struggling to carry the heavy carrier and the kind driver had taken pity on him and stopped to help. Barry lifted it off the bonnet, thanked his rescuer, and went to pour the contents into the van’s tank. He spilt a lot trying to get it in and also found a leak in the old carrier (well it was nearly 30 years old!) but at least we now had about a third of a tankful.

Rock Pools at Shelley BeachRock Pools at Shelley BeachRock Pools at Shelley Beach

There were many different coloured snails


My back was really sore again, and the top outer area of my right leg was numb, so I took some Neurofen and lay down flat. Once the pills kicked in I felt a little better and, seeing a nice sunset, I went out and took some photos over the water and the airport. We are getting some very lovely sunsets on this trip and I do LOVE sunsets (Barry enjoys watching them but doesn't understand why I like to photograph them - "You must have hundreds of sunset photos by now" "Yes but they're all different!").


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Shelley BeachShelley Beach
Shelley Beach

A beautiful purple shell found on the beach which unfortunately got a bit broken


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb