Always take the weather with you.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Moree
August 3rd 2014
Published: August 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Ice in the pipesIce in the pipesIce in the pipes

At minus 3.9 degrees overnight, it was little wonder we had no running water. Frank found ice in the hose connection when we were packing up.
Last night was cold. We didn't know how cold until we got up this morning and discovered we had no water because the pipes (hose) were frozen. I thought it was prudent to bypass the shower to get dressed and into the warmth of the car as soon as possible. Frank checked the fridge (because we are obsessive about the fridge - see previous entries) when he got up and commented that it wasn't very cold. That might have been because it was 3 degrees in the fridge and -3.9 degree on the outside. We felt sorry for the people camping next to us in their tent. I hope they survived. The caravan park we stayed at was small and clean. We were both impressed with it until Frank came back from the toilets and asked if there were pin-ups in the women's block. Apparently there were girly pin-ups in the mens block. Tacky.

We spent the day travelling only stopping to refuel the ute and ourselves. I have never liked eating take-aways when traveling, missing vegetables. Now that I am trying to stick to a healthy eating plan, it is even more challenging. The wonderful think about apples is that you can take them in the car with you and are ready to eat any time.

There were many dead kangaroos on the roadside, typical of Australian rural roads. Frank observed that he hadn't seen any police cars since we left home on Saturday. It wasn't until we got to Narrabri that we encountered the first of two. Fortunately we didn't come to their attention for anything. We have Simon (our GPS) keeping watch over us. I have it set so that every time Frank goes over the speed limit, Simon moos at him. Ridiculous, yes I know, but it gets the message across. Simon is very handy to have around, except for the times he decides to send us on the scenic route. So now we make sure we have a general idea where we are going so he doesn't trick us. A couple of years ago Simon took us off the highway and through the mountains. By the time we realised something was wrong we were unable to turn back. He tried to take us off the highway again today, but didn't get away with it.

As we travelled along the Newell Highway today, we noticed signs boasting of being the astronomical centre of Australia. Frank is keen on astronomy owning several telescopes and building a couple, so we will probably ensure we take the time to investigate the area on the way home. We are booked into a caravan park at Rainbow Beach from tomorrow, which is why we spend so much time driving.

Tonight we have stopped at a caravan park in Moree. Nothing to write home about, and apparently under the flight path of the local airport. Expected temperature tonight is 7 degrees. Waking up should be a much more pleasurable experience tomorrow morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb