Our 100km coast walk: day 3


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Mollymook
December 29th 2015
Published: January 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Talk about (not) roughing it. Yes we may have slept on uncomfortable foam mats hidden in the dunes but as planned the day started with delicious breakfast and equally delicious coffee from Tallwood restaurant. As I mentioned, this is one of the best restaurants we have been to on the South Coast so if you are travelling through Mollymook you should check it out.

Caloried and caffeinated up we headed through Ulladulla on the Princes Highway-- the least inspiring part of the walk but an essential hunting and gathering trail as it went right past a Woolworths. Armed with credit cards (essential hunting and gathering tool) we stocked up on some supplied including a few treats like fresh fruit and vegies. One of the great things about doing a walk that does go through towns is that you can have light packs AND eat well at the same time.

By the time we had finished our café breakfast and morning shopping it was much later than we had planned (about 11.30) but that was ok. We were itching to get off the tarmac and back on to the sand by the time we made it back down to the beach. We walked through forest tracks to get to Wairo where there are some really cute old cabins built before the area became national park. Jono's uncle part-owns one of these cabins so we dropped in hoping to catch him for lunch but the cabin was all locked up so we kept on heading down to Wairo beach and had a walking lunch to make up for lost time. (I over-dosed on dried fruits and nuts!)

There were two river crossings today: Burrill lake and Lake Tabourie. One of these (I think it was Lake Tabourie) was the one where Jono went under water for a brief moment and dropped my pack. A bit of late afternoon excitement.

We ended up finding an amazing spot to camp in Meroo National park between the ocean and a lake. I feel mildly guilty about sleeping on the beach of a national park rather than in one of the defined camping sites but this is appeased by the fact that we did not light any fires and we left all the beaches cleaner than when we arrived. I actually injured my back a little bending over to pick up rubbish all the time and forgetting to squat and/or engage my core. (I know, as a yoga teacher I should know better!)

It was such a treat to have a beautiful beach to ourselves at this time of year and cook under the setting sun. This in addition to being able to watch the orange globe of sun rise up over the ocean as mist danced up towards a near-full moon in the early morning made up for an almost sleepless night from being cold. The condensation on our sleeping bag that night was so thick that it was as though it had rained and it took me a while to realise that part of the reason I was so cold was that my feet were resting in a puddle on our 'ground sheet' (a painters' drop sheet). It was great to have packs that were for the most part only just over 5kg but next time I do a long walk I would happily carry an extra kilo or two for a comfier mat a sleeping bag of my own a pair of thermal pants and a beanie. Even in summer the nights can get cool - especially by the coast. We were sharing a light-weight summer bag between us which made for good night time wrestles! (only one of us at any one time could really have our feet fully covered by the tapered end of the bag!

The lightweight hiking thing will need years of refinement I reckon. Mum / Dad - waddya reckon - another attempt next year??


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Ulladulla Ulladulla
Ulladulla

About to take on the Princess Highway to Ulladulla
Hunting and gatheringHunting and gathering
Hunting and gathering

Hunting and gathering at Woolworths.
Old south coast roadOld south coast road
Old south coast road

Some of the tracks we used were part of the old south coast road. This is the road that my grandma probably remembers driving on to get to Batemans bay where they used to have family holidays. Maybe? If I had more time to research stuff I could find out.
nice bushnice bush
nice bush

Walking through some really nice bush on a headland somewhere south of Ulladulla. This is officially where the Sydney sandstone finishes.
Amazing surfAmazing surf
Amazing surf

Racecourse beach just past Ulladulla.
Meroo national parkMeroo national park
Meroo national park

There's a beautiful camp site here on the headland - a short walk in from the car ark which kinda makes it feel like bush camping even though it is car camping. We didn't stay here but thought we'd like to come back with the girls some time.
LoveLove
Love

Love-heart shaped rock. I took this photo mainly for my daughters.
rocksrocks
rocks

More love heart shaped rocks.


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 72; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb