Heading for the coast


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Merimbula
November 19th 2013
Published: November 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Yass we headed for the coast and a place called Batemans Bay which is in Eurobodalla, New South Wales, on our way we pass through Goulburn which has a 15 metre high statue of a Merino a very big sheep.We had intended to stay but the weather was very unsettled so we decided to push on to Batehaven Bay.The drive was very reminiscent of driving through the Lake district in the UK on a winters day with rain and mist on the hills, in fact one part was called "misty mountain", the decent into Batemans bay was a bit hairy in the wet.

As usual we headed for the tourist information on arriving in Batemans bay,we ended up staying on a caravan park a little outside of the main centre in a suburb called batehaven bay.The rain followed us there and we endured more rain than we had seen in a while.The caravan sprung a leak,quickly fixed by some clear mastic and a call to the place where we bought it from.

The rain stopped and on the advice of friends we had met on the road we headed for Jarvis bay,Huskisson and Kangaroo valley taking in various beaches and touristy things.What a great day out beautiful weather and the scenery was outstanding.The next day the weather turned again to rain and cold, so we decided to move on.

This time we are headed for Merimbula a fishing town famous for it's oysters and surrounded by secluded inlets and beaches.On our way there we call off at Bega famous for cheese apart from the cheese it has little to offer the traveller. Merimbula has several caravan parks and we settled for one close to town. The hub of the town is the harbour which on a good day is very pretty.We decide to stay a few days and explore the surrounding countryside,we were not disappointed. Just a short drive out of town is Pambula another small fishing village and further on was Eden, these places are adjacent to national parks which we took advantage of and went exploring,we had a great time. Time here is spent exploring the inlets and beaches and even trying my hand at rock fishing no I don't mean fishing for rocks but fishing off the rocks but alas no fish.We bought some local oysters and they tasted great, an added bonus of the caravan park was a covered heated swimming pool and for breakfast pancakes, jam and cream not only were they very nice but it was also an opportunity to talk to fellow travellers and find out about other interesting places to visit.

Tomorrow we cross over the border into Victoria and look forward to more places to explore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

HuskisonHuskison
Huskison

What a beautiful bay
Jarvis Bay Jarvis Bay
Jarvis Bay

The coast line is breathtaking
Kangaroo Valley Kangaroo Valley
Kangaroo Valley

The local pub



MerimbulaMerimbula
Merimbula

Beach that seems to go forever
MerimbulaMerimbula
Merimbula

Day beds overlooking the beach


20th November 2013

The coast
Enjoyed your photos. We enjoyed our time in Jarvis Bay.
20th November 2013

Memories
Great photos as usual, brings back heaps of memories for me, as I spent a lot of time down that way , not that far away from Wollongong, where it all began for me, love it, keep on living the dream you two, hope you get better soon Jackie
21st November 2013

Great to read the blogs Bill, its over 20yr since I was in Kangaroo valley it looks a pretty as ever. Beautiful coast, great to see you enjoying, keep the blogs coming

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb