Lakes Entrance to Merimbula


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Merimbula
January 14th 2013
Published: January 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Lakes Entrance to Merimbula
We awoke early to the sound of rain, we'd heard it in the night and it was still quite heavy. However by the time we had showered and eaten breakfast the sun was out and we were on our way.It is a beautiful drive with a meandering road and slowly rising. The countryside seems very English, trees and fields that eventually give way to forests, the trees are really tall. We stopped in the small township of Canns River where they have 4 coffee shops, a garage and a grocery shop. The coffee was hot but not the best, the coffee bun was enough to last for two meals! We then went on to Eden and as its name suggests it was beautiful. Calling in at the information centre they told us of a viewpoint so we drove there looked at the view and had our picnic lunch. We did think of staying here but then thought the journey to Sydney would be too long the next day so we travelled on but reaching Merimbula we just needed to stop. Calling in at the info. centre they booked us some accommodation it was so easy and lovely. The guy at Pelican's even gave us a discount voucher for the cinema which was across the road. He told us of some places to visit so our first port of call was a walk. Starting from the motel we walked through the town past shops and out past the bridge where we reached a board walk that went around the inland lake. Lots of people were doing this and some were fishing knee deep in the water. One guy was snorkelling in the oyster beds and others were out canoeing. Again there were Pelicans and many other birds about. We saw planes taking off from the local airport it seemed very close to the town. Reaching the end there was a jetty and small cafe where we sat and ate ice creams in the sunshine. Just then an old guy came in who had just rescued two young people in a canoe. One of the boys came in thoroughly soaked but happy to be on shore. We then spoke to a family who had decided to move here from Somerset, the little boy thought it was just a holiday oh dear however from the delight on his face telling us about the fish he nearly caught we don't think there will be a problem.We decided to walk back up a very steep hill to the town. We showered and changed and went for a drive to some viewpoints, it really does pay to listen to the locals, we saw some fabulous views. First we went to the golf club and there as promised were about 50 or so Kangeroo's just wandering about. Standing and watching them was amazing. They are so alert and watch us too then realising we are no danger they carry on munching, then we get a bit closer and everything is repeated until we get just too close and they bound away. We looked in at the club but we really weren't hungry at that point so off to see some more views, the surf beach and a small swimming beach then on to another small beach where we saw Kite surfers, they go so fast Steve said he'd like to have a go at that. After this we looked for somewhere to eat as on the beach there were some people cooking a Barbie and it smelt so good. We were suggested the bowling club and it was really good, reasonable prices and quality food although as usual too much. Back for coffee then after a short rest we went to the cinema across the road shortest walk ever! We saw the Life of Pi, I read the book and thought it strange and the 3D film had great special effects but again a thought provoking film really interesting. It was midnight and didn't sleep too well, thinking too much!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Captain AhabCaptain Ahab
Captain Ahab

He rescued the kids
KangerooKangeroo
Kangeroo

On Golf Course
MerimbulaMerimbula
Merimbula

One of the many beaches


Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb