Day 11


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Merimbula
February 17th 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our Ruby's boatOur Ruby's boatOur Ruby's boat

Gee Ruby hope you can keep us in fresh fish and prawns from your very own boat.
The weather was kind to us today and we set off to head to Edan with our sight set on the Whale museum.
The short journey was uneventful and we drove down to the Fishermans wharf to check out the trawlers and boats.
Interesting that we found Ruby's boat moored there.
The wander through the Whale museum was great, with the history about the Killer Whales herding other whales into the bay for the Whalers to kill them.
The reward the Killer whales received was the tongue and lips of the slaughtered whales.
One particular Killer whale appeared to have a great bond with Humans and was the leader of the pack.
They returned each year to do the same job, and the hearding ceased after Tom (the leader) was found dead washed up in a small bay.
His skelton is on display in the museum along with a lot of the historical records of the whalers and their families and the settlement and development of the area.

From here we travelled South West to Boydtown and Boyd National Park, This was named after another early whaler who had set himself up with a huge holding and had big plans
Tom the Killer whaleTom the Killer whaleTom the Killer whale

Karon checking out the killer whale story
to develop the area for farming and whaling etc.
The tower he had built out of Glebe sandstone shipped down, for his whale spotting tower and would be light house, is impressive and built in late 1840's was a tribute to his vision.
He was not granted permission to use it as a light house by the authurities for what ever reason, but it was used for whale spotting to give him an edge over other whalers working the bay area. His grand visions sent him broke and he left the area to seek his fortune in the gold fields of California.

We took another diversion to take a bushwalk to visi the Pinnicles, an unusual rock formation along the ocean edge.

We visited the Davisons whaling station on our return journey back to Merimbula, again a part of the areas history with some of the old cottage still standing and lived in until around 1950.
Not a lot left of the whale rendering factory, just some of the old tri pots, but some interesting description plaques.
Back home as the rain became heavier, but tucked up cozily in our mobile home, we certainly have no complaints.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Boyd TowerBoyd Tower
Boyd Tower

The Boyd Tower built for whale spotting
Karon spotting Karon spotting
Karon spotting

Do you think she is bored with watching out for whales from the tower?
Davison's Whaleing stationDavison's Whaleing station
Davison's Whaleing station

the Old house left standing long after the whale station was closed.
The PinniclesThe Pinnicles
The Pinnicles

Unusual formations by the sea, after a short bush walk through the East Boyd National park


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb