6 Holiday Safety Tips for Toddlers


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Lake Macquarie
September 10th 2019
Published: September 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

6 Holiday Safety Tips for Toddlers6 Holiday Safety Tips for Toddlers6 Holiday Safety Tips for Toddlers

Image Pxhere License CCO
Holidays are a wonderful time when parents get to spend much-needed quality time with their children. Festive seasons only get better when you get to spend them with family, even if they live far away.

But if your kids are aged between the Terrible Twos and Fearsome Foursomes, you need to keep a keen eye out for health and safety hazards that they could encounter while on holiday.

Whether you are staying home for the holidays or going on a trip, here are some tips that will keep your pint-sized loved one safe throughout.

Childproofing




Not everywhere you go on holiday will be suitable for your kids. Hotel rooms or even someone else’s house will not be fully prepared to handle rambunctious toddlers.

To keep your kids safe, you will have to childproof their surroundings. If you are staying with friends or family, request in advance that potentially dangerous items are kept out of reach or locked up.

This includes small items, medication and liquids. Bring with you portable safety devices such as cabinet latches and baby gates as necessary to give you peace of mind.

Children are chronically curious creatures who will want to touch and discover any new objects they see in your accommodation. Prevent them from inadvertently coming to harm by removing anything you see as a hazard.

Car Seat

Booster seats are a must as you travel. Ensure you have the right seat to fit your child and so you are within the laws of the state you are travelling in.

If you are renting a car ensure you are given the right kind of seat for your child to travel in. It is not the rental companies responsibility to do this, it is yours. As the driver, you are responsible for the safety and well being of your passengers.

Stay With Your Toddler

You probably know this already, but it cannot be stressed enough: Accompany your children everywhere. Additionally, do your best to keep them from wandering. Do not allow your toddlers to have aisle seats as they can move about more easily and there is a higher temptation to do so.

Medical Concerns




When going elsewhere for your holidays, be sure that your child (and you too!) have completed all the necessary shots and immunisations advised by your doctor.

Different destinations will have threats of disease, and it is vital to stay informed and forewarned.

If your child has allergies, you should be vigilant with them too as new foods or different recipes may contain unexpected allergens. Ensure if your child needs medication that you have an ample supply to last the duration of your holiday.

Be Aware of Health Hazards

Some of the food, drink and other items that people come into contact with during the holidays may be toxic, especially for children. Again foreknowledge is the key. Is the water safe to drink and consume?

Typical holiday plants such as mistletoe and holly can similarly be dangerous as they can cause nausea and diarrhoea if ingested. That said, you should be extra aware of the items your toddlers may come into contact with.

Even toys will come with warnings and statements about their components and materials. It will help to read these before purchasing.

Weather




Have a fair idea of what the weather is going to be like in the place that you are visiting. If you are heading for the beach ensure you have Sun hats, rashies and sunscreen to protect your toddler from the heat of the sun.

On the other hand, if you are going to cooler climbs ensure you have adequate warm clothing so your little one can be snug as a bug while still being able to get out and about.

Most important is that you all have a wonderful holiday experience.

Image Pxhere License CCO

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb