Down the coast, almost home


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Karuah
September 9th 2015
Published: September 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Once we've crossed the border between NSW and Queensland, we don't spend a lot of time in one place. It means we're on our way home and, though the scenery in northern NSW is certainly beautiful, we've been travelling this area all our lives so we don't dilly dally.

It was a Sunday when we drove through Byron Bay which meant crowds! It always seems crowded there, but Sundays are even busier. Added to that, the markets were on. We were keen to go to the markets, they're quite good, but there was no way we could find a parking spot. So we drove around town and along the beachfront. Byron Bay is the most easterly point of Australia and the lighthouse there marks the spot. The main and back beaches are long and lovely. We often stay in Byron Bay and walk along that beautiful beach, we'll do it again next trip. We instead went on to Lennox Head, and stayed overnight there. Just beyond is Ballina, lovely river, gorgeous beaches.

The following night was at the town my mother grew up in, Woolgoolga. It's a nice little town with another beautiful long beach. Once it was a banana growing area and though there are still bananas, blueberries are a main crop. Before we booked into the caravan park, we drove up to the headland to do some whale watching. We did indeed see whales spouting and the occasional splash as one breached, but they were quite a fair way out to sea. We looked forward to our long walks along the beach but sadly, a wind had come up and it was very uncomfortable as the day went on. It did dawn sunny and still next morning which allowed us time on the beach but once more the wind had begun by the time we were checking out.

Last night we stayed at Nambucca Heads at the Albatross caravan park, a lovely position by the river and beyond, the ocean. It's a very pretty spot, which we like very much. We drove around the waterfront this morning. It was such a perfect day, the sky was blue, the ocean and river very clear and deep blue and we could see forever, every hill in the far distance.

There was a lot of stopping and starting with roadworks with the new highway being built, so we turned off and drove into Port Macquarie and south along the waterfront. We are staying overnight at Karuah and tomorrow we'll be home. Yesterday marked 11 weeks since we left home on this trip, including the week we flew home. Wonderful holiday, it's sad it's come to an end but it will be nice to see the family


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb