Day 194 - Lakes Entrance to Eden


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Eden
October 7th 2015
Published: October 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Georgi had wanted to see the bay at Eden, from the time when a friend was on a cruise ship and the ship anchored in Twofold Bay. This bay was named by George Bass and is one of the deepest bays in the Southern Hemisphere. Our plan was to drive to Eden and maybe a bit further before we turned and start heading for Melbourne and the journey home to Tasmania.

Our first stop was Orbost where we had hoped to get coffee. We got a few other necessary things done (like emptying the grey water tank) but finding a place with coffee was proving difficult. There was an art gallery but that was closed but we did eventually find an organic cafe that welcomed Georgi with open arms. The owner and Georgi were getting on like long lost sisters until the cousin of the owner unexpectedly dropped in and Georgi was left out in the cold (but at least we had coffee, albeit a very strange tasting brew).

It was still blowing a gale when we drove into Cann River and we decided to have a break and eat lunch on the side of the road. Some very tall gum trees that towered over the local shops were being assessed for removal but it was too windy to do anything today.

The road became quite windy and more narrow as we crossed the border into New South Wales and we reached Eden in the late afternoon. We decided to stay in a caravan park in the town. Other caravan parks (absolute beach frontage) were available as we drove around the bay into Eden but we hoped to have a meal out somewhere in town. After we booked in to the caravan park and had a shower we checked out the local eateries but couldn't find anything to get excited about. We decided to try the local fish and chips and that required a drive down to the dock at Snug Cove (also named by George Bass).

There were plenty of other locals waiting for their feed of fish 'n chips (including the local constabulary) so we figured that we were on to the right choice for Eden eating. We tried to sit on the wharf and eat our dinner but the wind was too strong so we retired inside and watched one other brave soul that was eating outside.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb