Getting to Bourke


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Bourke
September 21st 2015
Published: September 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

We woke to the sound of bird calls in the first dawn before sunrise. It was a beautiful morning, much too nice to sleep in, so we made coffee and an early start. The goats were still grazing close to the road as we headed for Cobar, an easy 150km drive. The country around Cobar is beautiful, with undulating hills, large native pines and wild flowers everywhere. This area must have had a rainfall event in the last month, the country looks gorgeous.



While fueling in Cobar Greg decided to ask if there was a local medical centre. Then with instructions memorised Greg announced that Joan was going to see a doctor.



There was only one doctor of the usual four on duty and a full waiting room meant we had a queue. Although it seemed to be a long time while waiting, in an hour and a half Joan emerged with a prescription, a list of items and instructions. A pharmacy on the edge of town was more caravan friendly than the one in the town centre and soon we were loaded with “cures” and back on the road to Bourke. This early stop meant that Joan was on antibiotics four hours earlier than if we had waited until we got to Bourke.



The road between Cobar and Bourke (The Kidman Way) is a good quiet road that travels through stunning bushland, and the covering of wild flowers made it even more so. A coffee break close to Cobar and a lunch break closer to Bourke allowed us to get out to see the bush in more detail. As we have moved deeper into the outback the temperature has risen distinctly. Jeans and boots now feels distinctly over-dressed.



Up ahead Greg noticed a swirl of dust close to the edge of the road. It was a large “wurlie”, easily 10 metres across. Greg braked down to a stop and we waited for it to slowly cross the road. Large wurlies can through the caravan around violently, and so can be very dangerous if hit at any speed. When full of red dust they are very easy to see but we have been hit in the past in this area by ones that are effectively invisible. This can be very scary indeed.

Approaching Bourke through a shower of warm rain we thought we knew where the caravan park was from our previous visit. No, we had no idea and were soon parked checking the internet on our phones to get the address. There it is, just around that corner. So much for our memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.416s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.3333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb