Blue Mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Blue Mountains
December 27th 2003
Published: December 27th 2003
Edit Blog Post

I Started the walk at Govetts Leap lookout. Govetts Leap was named after William Govett, one of the first surveyors of the.....oh shit i'm even boring myself...

The heat in the blue gum forest is sweltering in the summer, (typically around 50oC) and the trees discharge a mysterious modulating hissing noise akin to an assortment of evil snakes, it creates quite an eerie sinister atmosphere, not good for an invertebrate yellow belly lily-livered gutless wonder.

I wondered astray from the designated walking track (doh!) got myself lost and had to spend 2 nights in here and alot of time swearing at trees and bushes......(when you spend 3 hrs hiking through prickly bush and thinking you are getting somewhere only to arrive at the same tree that you left 3 hrs ago, it is infuriating and there is no-one to take it out on but the tree, i gave her a good talking to the first time but it felt like i was'nt getting anywhere! now i never hit girls but i had to give it a damn good thrashing with a stick as i was sure she was laughing at me. Yes i was surely losing it, but i think she learned her lesson ha!. Stupid Lost Traveller - 1 Laughing Tree - 0.

If you get lost here its advisable to avoid hunting the indigenous lizards for their meat - they are not easily intimidated, are ill tempered, dont like it and will respond with outrage!. I did'nt eat. Not sure i would have done it anyway but i had to catch one to find out, plus i did'nt have any Buns, dont like eating meat without burgerbuns.

Its also a good idea to bring plenty of water, i did not and was forced to live off the river variety :o( In the heat and humidity of 50 degrees you need copious amounts especially if you are carrying a backpack and are escalating arduously steep hills. The water (after boiling), gulped down left a rancid taste in my mouth resembling battery acid!, but still an improvement on cask wine!.

Bacardi is not an essential item, but makes river water bearable. Should remember to put some in my Cask Wine.

Dark forests are pant wetting scary at night. Could'nt stop thinking of Blair Witch. As i am a lily-livered yellow belly cowardly custard i found
Living in the Blue Gum Forest :o( Living in the Blue Gum Forest :o( Living in the Blue Gum Forest :o(

The fire was to cook lizards on, but i had to settle for boiled water :o(
it difficult to maintain composure. If you desperately dont want to see or hear something you seem to end up thinking about it too much (bit like pink elephants) and sure enough i could hear children laughing & playing near the tent, Oh sh*t! not very funny at all at the time :o(

The Scenery from the top of the mountains is spectacular and a very welcome sight when you've climbed out of hell.

I made a promise to visit McDonalds to celebrate my survival once i got back to Sydney and i'm happy to say i kept it. It really was a happy meal!.





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

A violent Blue Gum Forest LizardA violent Blue Gum Forest Lizard
A violent Blue Gum Forest Lizard

Ey you! Git in Ma Belly


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb