Nature's Amazing Gallery (13/3/14 Part 1)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Batemans Bay
March 13th 2014
Published: March 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Wasp HeadWasp HeadWasp Head

Enjoying lunch with John and Jill at the beach
There was a mix-up with our site fees, today. Barry went to pay for another night and was told they owe us $15 as we’d paid twice. We hadn’t, so we left them to sort it out. We invited the couple from the gliding club, John and Jill, over for a coffee and some apple loaf (from Baker’s Delight in Batemans Bay - yum) and we chatted about old times and new adventures. They had a campervan which was set up with awning and equipment all around it so they were confined to the area. We invited them to come out with us for the day as we went to South Durass to look at some strange rock formations on the beach.

We made sandwiches and then all set off. John took us on a short cut he often uses to come to the caravan site. It was a dirt road and VERY rough and rutted in places. He said it wasn’t usually like that. I had to keep my backside off the seat most of the way to save my back! It was a nice forest to go through, though, with lots of ferns and cycads in one section
Wasp HeadWasp HeadWasp Head

One example of the Iron Boxwork
and then taller trees and less undergrowth in another. So different in such a short space! Too bumpy for photography, though.

We arrived at Wasp Head and sat down on the rocks at the edge of the beach to eat our sandwiches. It was a lovely day and the sea looked really blue. Then we put the remains back in the ute and went for a walk to find the formations. It didn’t take long – they were all over the rocks near us. What we found was Ironstone Boxwork made of bands of ironstone in the sandstone. The sandstone had worn away and left the harder ironstone in a box-like honeycomb pattern on the rock. It was amazing!

Other stones nearby also looked weird as they were covered in tiny holes, similar to pumice but not as light to hold. There was also conglomerate rock, full of different types of stones that had formed from Ice Age debris and was very varied. The exposed face of the cliff was also beautiful – with lovely swirls of colour all across it with shades from dazzling white to rich brown. It looked as if a modern artist had been
Wasp HeadWasp HeadWasp Head

A wide range of different types of rock that are on the beach, including ones full of holes (zoom in and check them all out)
painting it. Nature is a marvel! I didn't know where to look.

A bit further along the beach John found some fossil shells embedded in the rocks and, around the corner, Barry found some fossil wood. It was quite small but recognisable as wood. Half way up the cliff was a grassy ledge with a rusty old boiler on it and in line with it were some large rusty nails that looked as if they had been hammered in the rock for a very long time. We have no idea what the boiler was used for so close to the sea and the brochure I had didn’t tell us.

Many of the rocks around the area formed flat shelves that were really easy to walk on and not at all slippery, even when wet. We had a wonderful time exploring and I found two really tiny complete sea urchins, one green with no spines and one a pinky colour and covered in spines.

Finally, we decided it was getting late and we were ready for a cuppa so we made our way back to the ute and drove up to a lookout nearby where we’d seen some
Wasp HeadWasp HeadWasp Head

A fossilised partial shell and other small pieces
picnic tables. On the way, a pretty black wallaby popped out of the bush and, after a quick look at us, crossed the road and wandered, unhurriedly into the undergrowth on the other side. It had the cutest little face and long eyelashes. At the lookout we had some tea or coffee, using John’s Thermos, and some cake and biscuits. We got so involved in chatting to each other and reminiscing that we completely forgot to go and look at the view!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Wasp HeadWasp Head
Wasp Head

Fossilised wood
Wasp HeadWasp Head
Wasp Head

A whole cliff of "holey" rocks - like lace.
Wasp HeadWasp Head
Wasp Head

An overgrown rusty boiler above the beach, also showing more Iron Boxwork under the ledge.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb