Day 7 - Canberra


Advertisement
Published: November 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Another perfect day in Australia! Although the skies were cloudy we enjoyed viewing Canberra from the heights of first Mount Ainsley and then Black Mountain Tower. Canberra is beautifully laid out and the panoramic views revealed how it utilizes the land and water features of the area in its design. Then on the the Australian National Botanical Gardens where we wandered on well-groomed pathways and marveled at the variety of plants, trees and landscapes. After a bite of lunch at the Gardens we drove to the Canberra Glassworks where we watched the artisans at their craft. They have a popular program where people pay to participate in a learning course where they are able to make their own piece. There is a viewing gallery above the "Hot Room" and we were able to listen and learn along with the participants. Quite a fascinating art and an interesting experience.

In the evening we went to visit Christine and Mariano, friends Mike has made in his previous visits to Canberra. They generously invited us into their lovely home for dinner and we were treated to a wonderful night of engaging conversation, delicious Uruguayan and local dishes, and charming Australian hospitality. They are a fascinating couple who have travelled extensively and lived in the U.S. for a period of time. Visiting with them was definitely a highlight of our trip, and we cannot thank them enough for their kindness and friendship. We hope they will come to California in the near future so we can get together again soon.

We experienced another "GPS Moment" on the way home, however, when Maureen accidentally selected the Waldorf Apartments back in Sydney as the "go to" destination instead of the Waldorf Apartments in Canberra! We weren't too concerned about the obviously different route back to our hotel until the Garmin directed us to continue for 42 miles!!! Well, that should teach Maureen to wear her glasses at all times.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

View from the TowerView from the Tower
View from the Tower

viewing platform about 630 meters above the base.
Black Mountain TowerBlack Mountain Tower
Black Mountain Tower

It was obviously very windy up here!
Giant FernGiant Fern
Giant Fern

A fern forest in the Rain Forest Gully in the Australian National Botanical Gardens
Botanical GardensBotanical Gardens
Botanical Gardens

One of many interesting and flowering species of plants.
Rock GardenRock Garden
Rock Garden

Botanical Gardens
Water DragonWater Dragon
Water Dragon

A green-striped inhabitant at the Botanical Gardens
GlassworksGlassworks
Glassworks

The gentleman is teaching his public students the process in blown glass.
Christine and MarianoChristine and Mariano
Christine and Mariano

Thank you, thank you, thank you! We had such a wonderful evening.
Mariano and MikeMariano and Mike
Mariano and Mike

"Two wild and crazy guys!"


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb