Goodbye gotcha! for good!


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we left Gotcha in Mackay after some interesting time at work and some more interesting people and times with the gang! We flew direct to Sydney and stayed the night in the maze backpackers in central sydney, arrived fairly late so didn't see much of the city but SCORE we got upgraded to a 2-person room instead of an 8 bed dorm- much better considering half to residents there were drunk and sick by the time we arrived!
The following day we headed off to navigate our way to the novotel to collect our wheels for the next couple of days, Matt was pleased as the car was a pretty decent one and we drove to collect Jo and Kat (from the Asia trip) and their friend Alana. After a bit of careful planning we managed to squeeze all passengers and luggage in and we set off for Canberra...In a haze of grey clouds and rain! TYPICAL!!
However the further we got inland the better the weather seemed to get we arrived in Canberra in chilly but SUNNY conditions. The hostel was a nice suprise, very big, clean and lots of facilities including a pool and sauna. 2nd UPGRADE of the week from a 10-bed dorm to a dorm just for the 5 of us-WINNER!! We had a brief look around town and headed back to the room for some games and cheap drinks before a suprisingly early night about 1am!!
Up nice and early for a cultural experience.. first stop Parliament house for a guided tour and for some of us a bit of a crash course in political routines! Quite interesting but more fun trying to get random photos!

Following our political touring we decided to head for a bit more culture at the war museum and memorial, not before defacing her majesty's statue outside the parliament cafe- all Matt's idea naturally! The museum was again very interesting..it's the biggest in Australia (possibly the world but im not 100% certain about that) we got caught up in a tour with an old War veteran which was interesting but we didn't stay for the whole session as there were other parts we wanted to get to see. Once we'd had our fill we then went on up to Mount Ainslie lookout for an overview of the city and its gorgeous autumnal colours!!(get me!) and the unusual layout of the city with is triangles and circles! Bit like Milton Keynes but better! haha!
On the way home we went to the Mint in the hope they were giving away free samples.. alas it wasn't even fully functioning due to a re-furb but i did make my own very special $1 coin for keeps and Matt was very happy with his limited edition Don Bradman coin!

That night we had a dip in the pool and unfortunately bypassed the sauna as it was broken, we cooked up one huge meal and feasted before hitting the town...understatement of the century..we hit the town hard but all it had to offer was 2 bars open until midnight! not the big night out we had envisaged!

Day 2 started with yet more culture as we went to National Australia Museum and had another morning of walking around doing very little, accidentally taking photographs when we weren't supposed to and attempting to record a radio broadcast with not much success! As you can tell-a very interesting museum! A quick bite-to eat and then return drive to Sydney!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Mount Ainslie viewpointMount Ainslie viewpoint
Mount Ainslie viewpoint

looking over the city


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb