Canberra: War and Politics


Advertisement
Published: January 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Canberra - Parliament HouseCanberra - Parliament HouseCanberra - Parliament House

((c) image purchased from iStockphoto)
Canberra, chance to catch up with Sam!

Wednesday 2nd
What is it with my bag - some days it closes easily, sometimes it's just hard work! Today is a hard-work day, but at least I don't have any extra bags for once! 8am start, breakfast, pack and by 930 I'm in the internet café... Soon after there are queues for the computers so glad I've not left it any later! 2.5 hours later have caught up on some stuff, but not all - and have found out trip have been trying to book in Cairns is full so need to rework those plans. Not sure what is happening with my South America trip either, but that'll have to wait a bit.

Today is the day I finally try the famous Greyhound bus. It's often been cheaper to fly so I've not bothered with it! These tickets were $26 each way so I think thanks to Matt/Pippa for my Christmas present! Bit of a pain in that book online, confirm by phone 24 hours before, check in half-hour before for seat allocation then check onto bus, but once on it's fine. Provided with drinking water/a toilet and reclining seats so this is fine. Hope I can find Sam at the other end!

Easy enough journey, caught up on my blogs/some thinking a bit. Think will, when I find some time, write a monthly 'highlights' blog for each of the last 3/coming months, with maybe the top 30-50 photos. All a case of time though... Am still behind on straight blog and that's still appearing in first draft format... Arrived in Canberra about 4pm, rang Sam from a payphone which kept running out of credit no warning, but after 3 calls we'd established where to meet... Or so we thought! Turns out I was stood at the side 'where the coaches come in', and Sam was out the front 'where the coaches pull in'... But after half-hour I worked out how to send a text to an Austrlian phone (+61, delete 0) in case you're wondering, and 2 minutes later there's Sam!

Laughing our way round Canberra we went to Mount Ainslie for the best (free) views over Canberra... The city was designed from this viewpoint I think. Asked this guy to take a photo of us and he was the worst... We're in it full but Canberra is between the gap of our heads. We asked for another and gave a bit more direction this time! Headed to the supermarket to find dinner and got a few odd looks as took a couple of photos! The guy on all the 'Dairy Farmers' fridge is Sam's uncle, and then we found some Australia shaped burgers!

Back to the house, chilled out with our sausage/mash/veggies (still a favourite meal), and watched a chick-flick (The Best Man) and chatted until about 1am when it was time for bed and I finished off another book. Slept in Michelle's room and we just hoped that as she wasn't back by one she wouldn't come in and find her bed occupied!

Thursday 3rd
Sam dropped me off 845, and I hiked across a couple of roads. I could see the new Parliament Building tantalizing me on top of the hill, but couldn't quite work out how to get there... Just followed the path past all the outdoor gym stations! Pretty impressive once you turn the corner - purpose built in the 1980s for the needs of modern Parliament, with extra features for accessibility by schools, the people and tourists, and making use of local materials/designs including Aboriginal.

Joined the end of a group tour which was really interesting - think I learnt quite a lot about how British politics worked too in that session as the Australian system was formed from that and a lot is still the same. Interesting to see that when they designed the colour schemes the House of Representatives (lower house) they took the green from the UK and adjusted it to a Eucalyptus style green, and the Senate (upper house) took the maroon from the UK and used a lighter/fresher colour to make the space seem larger. Parliament House also includes a number of portraits of Premiers and Speakers (the oldest is about to be moved on as John Howard will be posing for his image shortly), and a 13th Century copy of the Magna Carta. A great deal of both historical and modern detail is on display... Including photos of all the current Reps and Senators. The free entry also includes the option to take a lift to the roof where you can marvel at the flagpole (flag size of a double-decker, has special dispensation to be left up and is replaced every 5 weeks), and the views over the city.

From the roof I can see the Old House of Parliament and Anzac Parade/the War Memorial which are my plans for today. I head to Old Parliament House, stopping at the Representatives Garden and gulping down some water as it's pretty hot! I arrive at the 'temporary' House of Parliament which ended up in use for over 50 years. More relaxed feel viewing here as is solely a tourist attraction, not a set of working offices! Take the self-guided tour leaflet and set off - much more interesting than I expected - lots to see, lots to interact with. Here the 2 chambers look much more like their UK counterparts, with the heavy racing green and dark maroon rooms. Amazing that anyone coped in this building for as long as they did because it's pretty cramped! A lot of areas have been left/reconstructed as they were when the move was made in 1988. There's even an option to sit in a replica Speaker's Chair (as made for some film), wearing wig/gown... Of course I did!

The most interesting thing for me was 'The Press Gallery' which told the story of the relationship between the Press and the Government as they lived on top of each other in the building... Something that was obviously taken into account in the new building where the press doesn't have such ready access! The Senate side of the bulding had much heavier furniture but interesting exhibits - e.g. Some of the significant politicians (e.g. First Aboriginal, first woman, etc.) and a great display of all past/present premiers. Finally went to the basement where there was an interesting display re:building an Olympic city and the significance of this for nations. Lots of photos of the innovative buildings involved and quite a few academic style thoughts to consider!

Quick bite for lunch and I give up on trying to work out any bus routes (they just give route number/time and no idea which number I need) and decide to walk across the lake via King's Avenue and round to Anzac Parade via Wenderee Avenue/King's Park. Plenty of things to see on the way round including the Australian-American memorial (bunny-ears). The National Carillon (no idea what it is, must Google it!), Blundell's Cottage and see the Captain Cook Memorial Jet in the distance.

Find my entry point to the parade and wander up taking photos of each of the memorials - they are very diverse and interesting to see what each of them symbolises. At the end of the Avenue is the Australian War Memorial, which includes a large Museum/Remembrance area. I arrive spot on time to join a 90 minute tour. We get taken to the main memorial areas - some interesting symbolism (and it includes a token woman), before we head into the Gallipoli gallery and I find out lots about a war I only know vaguely about. We're also told a lot about the Battle of Pozieres, and one of the survivors of the diorama was responsible for the idea of the national war memorial - it was opened in 1941, so was well underway when the Second World War became an issue, but that has been added, as have more recent conflicts - just - they open officially in February. We go to the medals gallery - a priceless collection, including all 7 Victoria Crosses awarded after the Battle of Lone Pine. In response to a comment about lack of security, a guest from New Zealand noted their entire collection was stolen last year.

We move onto the Lancaster Sound & Light show - illustrating a mission for Bomber Command, of which 10,000 Australians participated. Approx. 3,500 died, but the bomber on display complete 90 missions without harm. We see a number of other aircraft before moving onto the area concentrating on the Pacific War, which was Australia's main theatre of war. Included in the display is the original table on which the Japanese signed the surrender agreement, and plenty more about the Japanese who were far more significant for Australians than the Germans.

Through more of the Second World War gallery, including a V2 rocket, and this all feels very familiar. I finally spot a propaganda poster (although we have shot through the cartoon gallery), and see that the information on it is wrong - I will maybe send them an email. The tour ends but there's time to go down to the Conflicts of 1945 gallery for it's preview opening. This focuses on Korea, Vietnam and peacekeeping. There's also a special exhibition on Lawrence of Arabia. By this time only time for a quick dash into the shop... Where there were some Australian war posters, but not in postcard form!

Hang outside for Sam, then we make our way to Black Mountain and the Telsta Tower which is the is the point for amazing views over Canberra ($6) - we do the enclosed loop then head outside - windy and cold up there, but chance for some amusing photos - as there is on the way out! We wonder if Canberra is the smallest capital city in the developed world... Full of civil servants and army boys, plus tourists coming for 48 hours! Back to the supermarket for movie snacks (cherries/popcorn/choc fingers!) and I replace my alarm clock (exciting!). I try some musk sticks too but they taste like perfume (like those violet sweets) - yuk¡

Dinner is good, pasta, pork mince, token veg, and we give up on the movie idea (watching The Castle is a must, apparently, for when in Australia) and just chat/reminisce about Oak Hall/get all excited about Jen getting engaged to Wylie. Michelle comes back so we stack a load of cushions on the floor and I crash on those once I've pretty much sorted my bags out!

Friday 4th
Still feeling a bit sleep deprived by 850 I'm outside the National Museum of Australia - Sam does us one last photo and is off. Doors open 9, well, 904 according to a small crowd of us outside. Friendly and helpful staff from the off, put my bags away, they look up bus times and tell me the top stuff to see in the Museum. Some interesting stuff in the museum including an aboriginal display from which I get a better idea of how Dreamtime works. My favourite bit, you may not be surprised to know, was the section on what Australia means to Australians (including Vegemite/kangaroos/natural rock formations, etc) and how they have formed their own National Identity over the last century or two. Final thing after that was the best cartoons of 2007, for which they produce a book every year - didn't buy it though. Did, however, find another cloth badge - have about 5 just from Canberra.

Collected bags, found bus-stop, 2 minutes later the bus was there (early) - $3 for a single cash fare, and he dropped me at the stop nearest the coach station, directing me towards it! Saw went past Post Office so posted home another kg of souvenirs (including my surfcamp DVD, which actually we did watch last night), then checked in and found the internet café for an hour. Bit slow, but got a few things sorted, which is always good! Bus left dead on time, and currently am sat on the coach with nearly another 2 hours of journey time to go to Sydney Domestic Airport. Several hours later, I'm sat at the airport, I'm through security and finally have found a USB stick, so am trying to get as many photos uploaded as possible. Boarding in 50 minutes (715pm!). That was a complete picnic and a half - get to the gate, told to move gates about 3 times, and the flight finally takes off an hour late (Virgin Blue). Forgot to eat so decide to go for a ham sandwich - all gone! The head stewardess is really friendly/bubbly and when I pull a face and say, 'no worries, way some things have gone recently', she gives me some sweets to make my day better. What a lovely thought! Get to Cairns, bit of a 'shed airport', and it's extremely humid! Go for the shuttle bus, am told to come back in half-hour, so finally manage to get through to my mum on the phone, go back to the desk in plenty of time to find he got confused and my bus has gone. He says it will be another 40 minutes or so (bearing in mind it's already 11.15pm!), then decides as his Port Douglas bus is waiting empty for the next flight, and it's his mistake, that he will run me in on my own, for which I am extremely grateful!! Get let in by the night desk, given my key, told to check in in the morning, then try and sneak round an unfamiliar room in which 3 other people are already asleep....

Note
Flying to Cairns until 9th January - those of praying persuasion, haven't managed to get on the dive I tried to book 5 weeks ago and everything else seems to be full - it's the whole reason I'm going there! In Sydney for one night, then New Zealand on the 10th (hopefully, depends on Qantas strikes I guess!). Still trying to sort out my South America trip too, which I think will now start 7th March, instead of 22nd February, so planning to stay in New Zealand for a couple more weeks - not quite fixed all that yet! So, probably back in UK 1st May or some such, completely broke I will be!


Additional photos below
Photos: 99, Displayed: 31


Advertisement



Tot: 0.399s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 23; qc: 84; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb