DAY EIGHT – SUNDAY


Advertisement
North America
August 6th 2017
Published: August 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

I slept through my alarm this morning and Max was COMPLETELY crashed out still at 9am, so we missed the final morning of the conference. 😞 Even though it was abbreviated for us this year – with food poisoning at the beginning and sleep at the end, we are still bringing back lots of great memories and information from our time at the conference!





After all three boys got going, we set out to explore a few locations from my mom’s childhood, but first – BRUNCH. We went to a place call “First Watch” Café – which was highly rated on Yelp, but didn’t have a two hour wait (sorry, Original Pancake House in Brookfield!) It was delicious and gave us the healthy start we needed to start our day (albeit at noon!!). We drove about 20 minutes from there and found my mom’s old high school, elementary school, the house she grew up in, and her family’s church. Much to her delight they were all still there!! Max loved seeing all the places that Grandma used to go to when she was little (a “long, long, long time ago” to quote him! Sorry Mom!). :0)



From there, we headed to Lake Michigan and Whitefish Bay where we tried to find Lions Bridge. There is a “famous” photo in my family of my mom and her two brothers standing astride two lion statues on either side of the entrance to a footbridge in Lake Park – near their home. They are showing their “claws” and making growling faces. When we went to Milwaukee as a family when I was growing up, my sisters and I stood on the same bridge, with the same statues, making the same faces, and took another photo to go along with my mom’s. Our plan was to do the same thing today and get a THIRD generation’s photo. Unfortunately, the bridge is now closed and the lions are no longer there. 😞 However, we recreated what we could and the photo is included in this blog post.



After our Milwaukee sightseeing adventure, the boys convinced me to take them back to the Go Kart arena so they could race again and try to break their speed records from Friday when they raced John. We dropped them off and Max and I went back to the hotel to start the monumental task of packing everyone up!!





We had a relaxing evening at the hotel and prepared for our train trip back home!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.6kb