RIHLA #21


Advertisement
North America
March 2nd 2012
Published: March 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. According to this article, how is modern slavery different from earlier forms of slavery throughout history?

Modern slavery- “when hundreds of thousands of people are being forced to work at jobs they don’t want to do - in the commercial sex trade, on farms, in homes, in factories and elsewhere in the United States. They work for little or no pay and under constant threat of violence and even starvation” (Jones).

2. Why does this movement against human sex trafficking connect to the legacy of President Lincoln?

This movement against human sex trafficking connect to the legacy of President Lincoln by creating the Emancipation Proclamation which made slavery illegal in the United States.

3. Describe the Polaris project. What do you think about this project?

Polaris Project is an organization that was founded in 2002. “The organization operates a national hotline, taking calls 24 hours a day in more than 170 languages, from people who suspect trafficking is going on in their communities and from victims themselves.”

4. Do you agree with this article – that human sex trafficking is a form of modern day slavery?

Yes, I agree with this article – that human sex trafficking is a form of modern day slavery because if you are treated with out any form of respect and abuse, I personally will consider that to be slavery. “Angie, a teenager from Wichita, Kansas, ran away with two friends after trouble at home. The three girls ended up under the control of a pimp who forced them to prostitute themselves at a truck stop in Oklahoma City, threatening to harm them if they did not bring in enough money” (Jones).

5. In your opinion, can you think of any other examples of modern day slavery?

Examples of modern day slavery can be working with out being paid at a certain situation but doesn’t include community service because it is you wanting to work for the community. While working at a place you are forced to be at would be consider slavery in my opinion.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb