Slidell- Day 1


Advertisement
North America
February 8th 2010
Published: February 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A group of 16 departed from Greensboro yesterday morning and arrived last night in Slidell, LA. The group this year is comprised of several Habitat staff, Grace Methodist church members, and 5 AmeriCorps members. The trip is scheduled to last through this week, which is also the last week before Fat Tuesday! In addition, the night we arrived was the night that the Saints won their first Super Bowl- an exciting night to be in Louisiana!

For the first work day today, our group was working on some framing, including finishing the the sheeting the trusses on the two houses. Lots of straps and hurricane clips were installed, as well as nails every 4 inches all over the house! The group also managed to felt one of the houses, and started work on the second towards the end of the day. The felt paper was different from the traditional felt paper- instead it felt more likeTyvek house wrap and had a rubber coating to provide grip. And it stays waterproof for 6 months!

Dinner smelled great as we sat through orientation and turns out it tasted great! Baked apples and Saints cake were a great way to finish the meal. The group stuck around the common area playing cards or Monopoly or just chatting and laughing. An overall great first day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



9th February 2010

Day 1
Makes me wish I was there! I hope you're taking pictures! And please encourage the others to add to the blog as well. Let us hear other perspectives. Got an email from Susan this morning saying that you were delayed due to rain. It hasn't hit us yet, but it's due here later today. Hope you get a good day in.

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.4kb