Louisiana - WHO DAT?!


Advertisement
North America
January 4th 2010
Published: January 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Backpacking can be tough, stressful... We were lucky enough to fly Sydney- London-Houston British Airways Business Class all the way on standby. After the threat of cabin crew strikes that didn’t eventuate, what an amazing way to begin our adventure. We would like to thank Belinda for all of her help in hooking us up, we love you very much.

After a rather pleasant 40hour journey we arrived in Houston 23/12. Meaghan (Jay’s sister) had driven 4hrs from Arnaudville, Louisiana to pick us up, it was great to see a familiar face. We stayed with Meaghan, her girlfriend Jessie and family (Juene & Raphael) for our stay in Louisiana. We had our own self contained camper for a bit of privacy on a beautiful 10acre property in true Cajun country. Celebrated Christmas with the family and had our first taste of Gumbo. A traditional Cajun meal made of all meaty treats, a rich rue and plenty of spice served with rice and potato salad. Yum. Was just the right thing as it was about 10degrees max for the day.

Christmas day we drove to New Orleans with Meaghan and Jessie. Stayed 2 nights 1 block from Bourbon St, 'Nawlins' is a great party town. Everyone walks around yelling out ‘WHO DAT’ ???? Don't know why or what it means, there appears to be no rules here. Bars, clubs, strip joints, restaurants, all you need for a good time. Walked Bourbon, sampled Hurricanes and Hand Grenades. Didn’t take too long before Nic was riding a mechanical Bull at a bar called Bourbon Cowboy and danced the bar at Coyote Ugly. That was just the first night. Post-mix cokes all round for brekkie/lunch and we were ready to go again. Took in some sights around the French Quarter and watched an amazing break dance crew do their thang. Bar hopped our way through the night via the back streets to Bourbon. Went to Flannigan’s - which reminded us of the Corner front bar 10 years ago. Another bar (cant remember what it was called) we watched a lone piano player take requests and sing blues, soul, rocks songs to a very drunken and captive audience (AKA Minsky's in Neutral Bay). Highlight of New Orleans was Sing Sing Bar on Bourbon. There was an awesome blues, funk, soul band playing. During their gig, Queen P (singer) wanted to take it back old school and check out some dance styles from the crowd. Queen P started it off with 'the Cabbage Patch'. First on stage with the Shopping Trolley was.........Nicole (stage name 'DESTINY') Hilarious. It didn’t stop there either, she followed it with the Sprinkler and finally the Lawn Mower. Destiny was a hit, the crowd was chanting for more Nicky, Nicky (she hates being called Nicky). Haha.

Back to Arnaudville where we spent the rest of our stay. Little bit on Arnaudville. Arnaudville is a very small town in the Atchafalaya Basin(Largest swamp river in north America), Louisiana. During the summer temperatures average about 40degrees with 90% humidity but during winter the average temp is about 10 degrees as a high and lots and lots of rain. It is proper Cajun country, hot spicy food, crawfish, sugar cane and rice fields and distinctive French influenced accents.

On New Years, we set off some fireworks. Yeah it‘s legal to buy and set em off. 2 hours worth of crackers were fired before we set out for the night. We went to a local called Abbeys By-U Bar. During the day it looks like a tin shed, at night it looks the same. Inside however Abbey was serving up drinks and we played pool to welcome in the New Year. Rest of our stay we did some more sightseeing, horse riding, shopping and went to a local ice hockey game (including the stereotypical fights) and saw the local Louisiana Ice gators win a close one.

We have had a great time in Louisiana and would like to thank Jeune, Raphael, Jessie and Meaghan for letting us stay, showing us around and making our visit so memorable.

Next stop Brazil….



Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



4th January 2010

Merry christmas and Happy new year Jay and Nic. Looks like you guys have started the trip of to a good start, especially the flight - Wow! Looking forward to reading the next stage of the trip in Brazil. Cheers Jayneus
4th January 2010

What Ya Say!!
WoW! Isn't this blog thing great, you can tell us everything.( well all most !,) It sounds as though Meags and Jessie showed you real Cajun hospitiliaty. I am so happy for you both. Well isn't Nick a real party surprise, I hope you took some photos. Love to you both Love MUm and Dadxx
4th January 2010

Abbey said she thinks Roxie's cute and Bailey loved the BB gun shot and thought it was cool they have a golf cart.
6th January 2010

Geez
Sounds like you guys are going off!!! Happy NY to you 2.
8th January 2010

Love it....
Happy New Year guys... I think 2010 is going to be a good one. Keep up the good work and enjoy. Can't wait to hear what happens next. Stay safe. Luv H... x
19th January 2010

hallo
Hey Guys, Looks and sounds as though you are having a grand time. Love the pav Nicky, well done for spreading the Aussie pav joy. Hope that you had a fabulous Christmas and a rocking new year. Ness and co xoxo
21st January 2010

Go Nicky....
Dear Nicole and Jay, Happy New Year and loved the Nicky action and also the smoldering photo of you Jay in that bar. Arnaudville looks big time like my kind of place I can see lots of appeal. Do not tell Suki you are meeting with other dogs...my you those much loved pets will be on the dog hot line to Suki anyway. Love from McGowan and keep the party rolling - of this I am 100% sure. Much love HM Melbourne (business as usual in Melbourne although I think Icoco has changed hands)
7th February 2010

Thanks for the chocolates! Kids were a little unsure about the peanut butter and chocolate. Hope everything is going well and looking forward to hearing more. xx Kylee and Clinton.

Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb