New York, New York it's a wonderful town


Advertisement
North America
October 23rd 2009
Published: November 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

and then there were 3and then there were 3and then there were 3

Viv joins us in NY and meets the bull in financial districgt
Or is it? Not for me I'm afraid. Everyone had said to me how I would love New York - maybe they don't know me as well as they think they do. We arrived late afternoon after an uneventful flight and caught a bus then metro to the centre. Our hostel, the Big Apple was easy to find as it was only minutes away from Times Square. Once again, we dumped the bags and headed out.

It was just as cold as Toronto and I was really starting to feel it. Already I didn't like the feeling of being hemmed in by all the skyscrapers and when we hit Times Square it was worse, Huge big glaring billboards the size of the skyscrapers all screaming out buy, buy, buy. Well, I'm probably the world's worst shopper preferring to buy lots of my stuff in second hand stores to they were preaching to the wrong person when they were preaching to me. At night it was even worse as it was all lit up like a huge crazy christmas tree - who is paying the leccy bills that's what I would like to know. Especially as there are so many homeless
and then there were 7and then there were 7and then there were 7

the UK girls join us for party celebrations
people living on the streets there. If Paris is a soft caress, New York is a huge smack in the face.

One good thing was that Viv, Lyn'sister was coming to join us for a week or so - a breath of fresh air for the two jaded travellers and we got ready to fit as much as possible into our 8 days in the Big Apple.

Lyn and I had checked out Central Park before Viv arrived - great place - you can forget the big city in central park and there are squirrels and raccoons to keep you amused. One of our first culture things was the Guggenheim. I was a little disappointed and preferrred the one we had seen in Bilbao but then maybe I'm just over gallerys and museums after 6 months.

We had another little foray into Central Park - bought some sarnies and a drink and ate them there before heding of in search of Strawberry Fields which is a memorial to John Lennon. Also visited the building where he used to live and I think where he was shot out the front of - not sure if Yoko still lives
Cafe WhaCafe WhaCafe Wha

ya gotta go there!!
there.

What else did we do? Well, on one of the rainy days we decided to do a cruise of the Hudson - outside it was cold and wet but in the boat it was warm and dry and we got a fascinating commentary about all the burbs around NY.

I was also adding another candle to my birthday cake and yet another good thing was that 4 of my girlfriends from UK were coming to join us in NY for the weekend - Christine, Sheila, Olwen & Lowaine. They arrived on Friday and flew back to UK on Monday. We met them for Saturday morning for brekkie in a local diner then they went off to do a flying tour on one of the open topped buses and we hooked up with them later for birthday cosmopolitans and dinner in a local Italian restaurant. After that we had a few drinks in a local bar then went our separate ways until the following evening and what an evening.

During the day we looked around Greenwich Village area which has very few skyscrapers if any at all. It is an "arty farty" area where the authors and
Coney IslandConey IslandConey Island

is there anyone home?
painters hang out. We had a drink in the White Horse pub which is reputedly where Dylan Thomas drank himself to death - we only had the one drink!! Later that evening we were back in Greenwich Village to meet up with the UK girls for dinner and then a night of music at the Wah Bar. I can thoroughly recommend it as a great night out - quite a few musicians doing covers of all types of music - lots from the 70s and 80s. There is not much room but we were all up bopping at some stage and a great time was had by all.

What else did we do in NY? Well, the Empire State Building of course - very spectacular at night. Lyn and Viv did some serious shopping and went to a Broadway show - I chose to stay home and recharge the batteries. We also went to MOMA and saw the famous library where Carrie was supposed to get married in the Sex and the city movie. We spotted the Naked Cowboy on the street too - he was supposed to be running for mayor but pulled out beforehand I think.

We did the Staten Island ferry and caught the train to Coney Island - looked like a deserted film set and we didnt stay long there. I always thought the US was cheap but it certainly didnt seem that way. At first it seems cheap but then the tax gets added on and, if you are eating out or drinking, the twenty per cent tip also has to be added on. Apparently the wages are not much good in US for hospitality workers so they live from their tips.

I have talked to people since about NY and they say it grows on you - maybe that is the case - anyway, I have seen it and I don't think I will be back - wait and see!! Next stop - Vancouver. UK girls have gone back and Viv gets to stay a few more days in NY and then she is off to San Francisco. Au revoir Viv!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.387s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb