The Burn


Advertisement
North America
September 16th 2009
Published: September 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Great Old Eternal Mushroom Cloud erupts from his solar plexus. Enviably powerful, untold energy. Jet after jet of flame lights up every single face, reflects in every single eye; the image is repeated again and again. The whirlpool picks us up and spins us down and around the flames, but nobody can know from where this phrenetic and rhapsodical momentum originates. Faster they dance, hands thrown up off their arms like confetti in the strobe, flashing from the blaze. Blissful faces falling apart and being exchanged. A long laugh resonates through this huge and wild carnival with a metallic aftertaste. Stretch and scorch your mind to digest this boundless energy, this unity, this singed saturnalia.

The word 'indescribable' and the phrase 'go for yourself' spring instantly to mind. But these expressions are unlike most. They are not so much descriptive - more of a concession that words alone cannot encapsulate a particular experience. And while I do not profess to give you a 'review' of Burning Man I will do my best to put into words what I experienced for myself. As such, I, Richard Fenton, being of (ahem) sound mind & body, shall report my findings in Black Rock City: September 1st - September 8th. Needless to say, this is a mission with overtones of severe personal danger.

There is no separation between the entertainers and the entertained in this fine-sand landscape. From misting stations to mutant vehicles, the possibilities built into this makeshift perfection by its avid creators and players are endless. Handshakes become hugs and conversations become dances as the community is gradually dusted with that feeling. So many folk; revved up, sparky, smokey, still, phosphorescent and masked. Lots of good heads of types and colours I have never seen before all seeking for the moment: the full bare essence of the thing. Intrepid. Here they are up against their world to the point of total coverage. Absolute total coverage. The dessert dust clings to every article: an incubating layer. The dust! Oh lord, you cannot dodge snowflakes, and this was a blizzard! A fine film on everything. United under a blanket with a day-glow grin.

JUMP! On a flying carpet. BLAST! The techno. HUG! on a moving Laa. SLEEP! On a sofa in Center Camp. Moving from camp to camp, people, people. So many people. A sweat dome with hookahs and dried fruit goodness delivered straight into your mouth. Abundance reigns and gifts are exchanged on every interaction. The closeness felt cannot be put in anything but melodramatic terms. What abundance. Love dictates the flow, whatever its direction, and it is unquestionable. Honesty is the best disguise and we shall go on until the end, honestly, because everyone leaves something on the Playa.

Sky-divers get in free. Mistakes are not important. Water is a blessing. And nothing on the floor. No silk handkerchiefs, no cardboard boxes, no cigarette ends, a propitious time indeed. Gone on the first ship out of here to heaven and beyond.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb