La Jolla and Seaport Village, San Diego


Advertisement
North America
July 31st 2009
Published: August 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

How Would You Pronounce That? How Would You Pronounce That? How Would You Pronounce That?

Of course, I was just another 'tourista' who massacred the name of LaHoya. The cove turned out to be a lovely spot nestled along the coastline of southern California.
After a morning at Torrey Pines, we drove to La Jolla (pronounced Lahoya), a wealthy neighbourhood on the Pacific coast of San Diego. When we arrived, I read the sign exactly as it sounded, ...... and my host, Laurie, just cringed. Apparently the locals are rather sensitive about the way the pronunciation of their neighbourhood’s name is repeatedly massacred.

We made our way down the street to one of the staircases that descends to La Jolla Cove. As we looked over the retaining wall, we could see California sea lions sunning themselves on the rocks at the water’s edge. Around the curve, all kinds of pelicans were perched in the crags of the boulders. And, ..... let me tell you, ...... the smell was overwhelming, .... really overwhelming. The rocks along the shore were snow white with their droppings.

The tide was just starting to come in when we got down to the shore. Nathanael paddled in the water and climbed up on one of the stones while the waves washed over his feet. The water was cold and refreshing. Surprisingly, there were people swimming in the cove. We trekked across the sandy beach and spent some fun time
Surf's Up! ...... Surf's Up! ...... Surf's Up! ......

..... Or at least the boards are! What a unique marketing display, don't you think?
investigating a really cool geological feature along the cliffs. The sandstone rock face is very soft and subject to serious erosion. We could tell some man-made support had been added to the cave entrance to help keep it from collapsing completely.

We were able to explore a couple of small tide pools and Nathanael crawled through the cave, almost to the other end where it opened again to the shore line at the other side. I wouldn’t let him go as far as he wanted because he would have been out of my sight. It was such a beautiful spot (if you were up-wind from the pelicans).

From La Jolla Cove we took the short drive Seaport Village. We passed a street by the name of “Broadway” along the way and felt right at home! Ha-ha! This site is actually a wonderful outdoor shopping mall with a myriad of designer stores and restaurants. There were retailers selling almost anything you could want, mostly rather pricy items to locals and tourists alike.

We toured several shops and bought some souvenirs for family. Nathanael thoroughly enjoyed the Village Hat Shop and of course the Candy Shoppe. Janice’s birthday was
For Sale For Sale For Sale

This tiny building and property, right across the street from the cove, were for sale. Although we never investigated the cost, all of us together probably could not have afforded this prime piece of realestate.
coming up in May so Nathanael and I bought her some “chilli-chocolate,” a dark chocolate bar made with red hot chili’s in the recipe. We can hardly wait for her to try it. There was an upscale art store with many exquisite sculptures on display. I wish I had been able to take some photographs of the pieces but copyright laws would not permit it. The grounds and landscaping were beautifully manicured. I guess that’s just the way it is in San Diego where the weather is almost perfect every day of the year.

One of the larger attractions of Seaport Village is an exquisite carousel that was first build and place in Fairpark, Texas, in 1895. It has moved around to eight other locations through the years, mostly along the west coast. It was finally brought to California and erected at Seaport Village, San Diego in 2004.

It was getting dark when we finally left the shopping complex and some of the shops were closing their doors. What a super place to visit, another great site of so many along the Pacific shoreline. We love it here, dear friends, and would stay if we could. But I
California Harbor Seals - Sunbathing California Harbor Seals - Sunbathing California Harbor Seals - Sunbathing

These bathing beauties were quite loud as they called to each while taking turns going for a swim and returning to the rocks. The babies were adorable.
think we’ve felt that way about everywhere we visited.

Our next foray into San Diego will take us to the sea port and a tour of the USS Midway.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Odiferous OrnithosOdiferous Ornithos
Odiferous Ornithos

We could smell these pelicans roosting on the rocks a long time before we could see them. The cliffs were white with their droppings.
Rocks, .... White as Snow Rocks, .... White as Snow
Rocks, .... White as Snow

In this photo especially, you can see what I mean about the pellican droppings on the rocks. The "white stuff" must be inches thick.
Looking Out Over the Cove Looking Out Over the Cove
Looking Out Over the Cove

Every view along the shore is lovely. The Pacific Coast is truly a feast for the eyes.
"It's Freezing, Mom!"  "It's Freezing, Mom!"
"It's Freezing, Mom!"

Nathanael was a very good sport posing on this rock while the ice cold waves washed over his feet and the tide came in.
Explorer, .... not just a computer programme or a Ford product!Explorer, .... not just a computer programme or a Ford product!
Explorer, .... not just a computer programme or a Ford product!

Nathanael crawled all over the rocks of the cove, examining pot holes and crevices. Exploring was the order of the moment and he revelled in it.
An Exciting Discovery An Exciting Discovery
An Exciting Discovery

This beautiful rock formation was just begging to be examined. And Nathanael was eager to do so. It was dark inside so Mom decided to stay at the entrance and shoot pictures from there.
Crawling Through the Cavern Crawling Through the Cavern
Crawling Through the Cavern

Nathanael so wanted to crawl completely through the cavern and out the other side but he would have been out of Mommy's sight so the answer was, "No." He was disappointed but obeyed and came back.
My Handsome Little Man My Handsome Little Man
My Handsome Little Man

A silhouette of Nathanael, outlined against the view on the other side of the tunnel.
Familiar Street Sign Familiar Street Sign
Familiar Street Sign

You would be surprised at how many cities and towns have a Broadway Street, ..... including Ottawa. Just had to take this picture since we live on Broadway Street at home.
Seaport Village Seaport Village
Seaport Village

This shopping attraction is filled with cobblestoned walkways and unique shops and boutiques. It was very picturesque and bade us stay long into the evening when everything came alive with lights.
Hats Galore Hats Galore
Hats Galore

You can just make out Nathanael standing inside the hat shop. Dusk was beginning to fall and the stores were spilling their light onto the paths.
Amazing Carousel Amazing Carousel
Amazing Carousel

This Looff Carousel was built in 1895. The hand carved animals were created for the enjoyment of adult riders and are amazing in their detail and colour. Restored in 1991, Seaport Village is the carousel's latest home.
Night Decends on Another Day Night Decends on Another Day
Night Decends on Another Day

A last look at the carousel as we make our way back to Laurie's car and then up the mountain to Alpine. Another wonderful day in San Diego. We really enjoy being here.


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb