CARMEL/MONTEREY 4TH OF JULY-PART 2


Advertisement
North America
July 5th 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

BILL HALEY AND THE COMETSBILL HALEY AND THE COMETSBILL HALEY AND THE COMETS

It was rockin' 4th of July
Excerpted from my book OUR SUMMER IN CARMEL at Amazon.com

The highlight of the afternoon festivities was an appearance by the Comets of Bill Haley and “Rock Around The Clock” fame. Haley passed away some years ago, but the other original five members of the group had reunited and were enjoying international recognition. For their years, could they still rock! Wow! Their average age was 76, with the oldest band member being 84. Well beyond Viagra, and expected to be in a retirement home? Not so for these guys! They presented a brilliant show, displayed astonishing passion for their work, surprising vitality for their age, and just shear joy in being before an audience and performing. Their appearance was the highlight of the day. Filling a huge vacuum after the Comets departed the stage, local politicians, headlined by the mayor, and followed by several councilmen and so forth, tried their best to hold the audience with patriotic speeches. But, in true American fashion, most of crowd, including Elysee and I, drifted away to get a slice of the free Fourth of July birthday cake.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.388s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb