Arrived in canada


Advertisement
North America
March 29th 2009
Published: April 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

Well after a very eventful couple of flights here i have finally arrived in Toronto. After having much fun with the American customs people in Chicago, I finally boarded my flight to Toronto, only to be told half way through the flight that the plane had lost an engine and we had to return!! (OOHHHHH F**K!!!!!) was all i could really think as we were half way over lake Michigan and quite frankly it looking a bit chilly if we had to land in that!! Thank christ we landed safely back in chicago were i proceeded to spend the next 6 hrs of my life waiting to finally board another plane (looked strangely like the previous one) which finaly got me to Toronto. So all in all it took over 24hrs door to door, and i'm not conviced it should of!! Having arrived at my cousin Andrews and Barbara's house it was really nice to have some good dinner and relax abit, but that was only till the racoons came and started begging for food by the back door lol, which was pritty cool as they came up and would eat out of your hands which was a novel experiance.
The second day I went into Toronto and managed to get very very lost! thank god for cheap taxis thats all i know!! Manged to find my way back to the CN Tower and got there just as the sun was going down. Thought i'd buy the ticket that goes right to the top, where they have the glass floor, so you can stare at people 1300Ft below, all i could think was a BASE jumper might actually try and make sweet love to this building :P. It has been declared a wonder of the world as the top is off centre my 1 inch from the bottom, which is quite impressive really as the top of the areal is nearly 1500Ft. Once the sun sets and the lights of toronto come on the view really is somthing that needs to be seen! and the bar will run a tap for you!!! what could be better then getting pissed at height!!
After a discussion with the bar man, the next day i decided to go to the toronto islands, a group of tiny islands about 15min boat ride away. As it turns out its actually another residential part of toronto, with almost holiday homes/houses dotted everywhere, unfortunatly the weather said it was going to be 7 deg, they evidently didnt take into account wind chill factor as it was absolutly freezing, so couldnt last longer then about an hour before having to get the ferry back. Though got some amazing pics of the Toronto skyline. Tried to see a bit more of Toronto but by the time I got back from the islands all the shops where shut so I just went back to oakville for a much needed relaxing night!
The Bar man also informed me of a hockey game happening on the wednesday night, and i thought you cant really come to Canada without seeing a hockey game so decided to get tickets and saw the Toronto mapple leafs against the philly flyers lol, good game but didnt have a clue what was going on!! couple of fights in the stands which was quite amusing and a really good atmosphere at the game but i think the geeza sitting next to me got a bit pissed of coz i kept asking what was going on!! lifes a bitch hey!!!
Anyway the hockey game went on for about 3 hrs and was quite late getting back which was bad as i had to get up early in the moring to go to niagra!!
The falls are something really special, just the noise as your walking towards them was something to remember, got some great pics but i dont think a camera can do them justice!! 250 gallons per second flying over a cliff!! unfortunatly the maid of the mist boat wasnt running as there was lots of ice still in the water from the spray coming of the falls, but i have a feeling you wouldnt be able to see much more anyway just get really wet!!
After veiwing the falls from the canadian side we then crossed the boarder over to the American side only to find the veiw was much better where we were!!
The tickets we brought for the falls also included a trip to an indoor tropical centre, bit like a smaller version of the eden project. Lots of massive butterflys and poisenous frogs which were cool to see while here, and also gave us a great chance to drive down the niagra river and see some beautiful country side.
Other then the main attractions just been doing a few nature hikes and veiwing more open country side!
To sum it up, Canada is a beautiful country and i have only been to this part!! To be honest i wish i had a bit longer here as i would really like to see what the other parts have to offer and have found the canadians to be very excepting, friendly people!!!

Would like to say a massive, massive thanks to Andrew and Barbara for letting me stay in there lovely house and for putting up with me for a week (god knows its to long for most people) and for organizing trips and driving me around, they went far beyond the call of duty and made the beginning of my trip very special and really cant thank them enough for all they have done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know what u think to this blog as its the first one and if you think im just talking shite about nothing then bollocks to you, lol na joking all comments good or bad will be greatfully received as i have no idea what im doing!!
Well im heading to Peru next so will try and keep you updated but as i wont have a PC in my room anymore (arrrr its hard this backpacking) then it might be a bit harder to try and remember all that is going on!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



4th April 2009

Hey Jammy Glad to see you arrived safely. Its looks wicked and looks like your having fun!!! Have fun speak soon x
4th April 2009

Oh i forgot to say your blog is cool. Keep adding to it!!!
4th April 2009

Good start
Hi Dan Good start to the blogging, lets see if you can keep it up as you visit the wilder parts of the trip, have fun in Peru.
5th April 2009

Great Start !
Great start, keep this up and you will be able to publish a travel epic at the end of your trip. Might even make a movie! Stay lucky in Peru and beyond ....
8th April 2009

very nice
Hi Dan, Very nice way of recording your travel experiences as you go! I just wanted to add some facts about what you just saw. CN tower: tallest freestanding structure in the world 1976-2007. Burj Dubai is the world's tallest tower since 2007. Niagara Falls: the second largest falls in the world next to Victoria Falls in Southern Africa. The highest falls in the world are “Angel Falls” in Venezuela. What makes Niagara Falls so spectacular is the combination of their height and volume. Number of tourists who visit the Falls every year: 12 million. Three different Falls make up what we call “Niagara Falls”: The Canadian Horseshoe Falls, The American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls. Canada has the best view and for free.

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb