The End


Advertisement
North America
November 1st 2008
Published: November 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

November 1, 2008

THE END

Here we are sitting in Phoenix looking at each other wondering what we should be doing next !! Life will be different for a while as we adjust to “not being on the road”.

We returned to North America on Oct 31 after an overnight in Bogota and then to Miami, Dallas and Phoenix. We will take the Motorhome out of storage and then go to Canada to find a “Real Home” probably in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia.

This has really been quite the adventure.
9 ½ months on the road.
About 65 Flight segments ( and not one lost bag !!! ).
4 Continents
38 Different countries.
Too many hotel rooms and too many restaurant meals.

But, all in all a very worthwhile and very enjoyable “once in a lifetime trip”.

There are many places we would love to go back to, and a few that we wouldn’t rush back to. We are often asked “what has been you favorite place”. Impossible to answer as every place has its own special character. The variety of places, cultures, people, and, of course, customs, politics and religions that we encountered was truly amazing.

I know we now have a completely different perspective and understanding of some of these cultures after spending some time there and seeing things first hand. It was also very surprising to hear the version of “Life in the West” that most of the people have, particularly in the Arab world. I think improvements in communication and the availability of News from around the world is getting a different message out fromwhat they have been told in the past.

It became very evident that John Lennon had it right in his song “Imagine” with his thoughts about a world without politics and religion.

We have said, to many new friends, that all of our grandchildren ( and children ) should visit some of the poorer countries for a little different outlook on what tough times really are. It is very sad ( and depressing ) to see the conditions that some people live in. The really sad part is that they don’t know anything different !! Maybe that’s a good thing.

Top 15 List ( couldn’t do it in 10 ) ( in order of travel, not importance )

Cambodia and Vietnam
India as just a very interesting, albeit somewhat complicated, place.
Travel and Food in Turkey.
Giza and the Nile in Egypt
Mountains and Scenery in Bavaria and Switzerland.
African Safaris in Kenya and Tanzania.
Livingstone Resort in Zambia at Victoria Falls ( Spectacular )
Travel scenery and food in Southern Africa.
Whale watching in South Africa.
French and Italian Rivieras
Rio de Janiero
The Rio Negro River
Mountains and Glaciers in Patagonian Chile and Argentina.
Colombia Travel, People and the Countyside.
Canaima and Angel Falls, Venezuela



It will be nice to take it easy for a while with nothing to do and no where to go but I think we will miss the adventures we had. We have some great memories, and way too many pictures, to remind us of the wonderful places we have seen and the people we have met.

Now we can plan the next adventure ( not so long ) to some other far away place and another adventure and maybe to return to some of what we have seen over the past few months.

It’s been quite a ride !!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.343s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb