Day 2 Kennebec,SD- Rozet, WY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
May 16th 2016
Published: May 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Up at 5 AM (we need to cover our skylight). We are adjusting quite well to the vagabond lifestyle. The "slide out" makes it quite roomy and Minnie has all the essentials that we need. We have found that everyone at these campsites is extremely friendly,helpful and great fun. Finally hit the road at 8 AM. Hallelujah no wind. Driving was a breeze (no pun intended). The refueling problem seems to have resolved itself....somewhat. At least we were able to top off though it took some time. Continued our trek on interstate 90 to the hwy 240 loop to The Badlands National Park. Definitely worthwhile. It was spectacular with amazing vistas. It was an hour and a half side trip and well worth it. The 240 loop brought us to the famous Wall Drug where we had lunch. Not particularly worth it but it was on the way. It's a typical tourist attraction though the lunch was quite good. And on towards Mount Rushmore which took a lot of meandering but certainly was the highlight of the trip so far. Though the weather has been quite chilly, today in the 40's and 50's. Everyone telling us it's unseasonably cold for this time of the year. The landscape in South Dakota is quite diverse from the eastern fertile grassy plains to the spectacular formations of the Badlands and magnificent granite peaks of western South Dakota. Was surprised to find that South Dakota only has a population of 850,000. After leaving Mount Rushmore we took Highway 16 into Wyoming. All the little towns in Wyoming that we went through had more elevation than people! We settled on a little campsite called All Seasons in Rozet Wyoming near Gillette. I say settled, we had little choice it was either All Seasons or The Green Trees Crazy Woman Campground. Seriously that was the name of it. It didn't get too many stars. Campsites are hard to come by in these here parts. Again the manager was great and very hospitable, offering to take us into the little town for dinner and then come back and pick us up a little later. However we found out it was closed on Sunday. The restaurant and the town! So after a little wine, Peggy "gormeted" us up a great dinner followed by a hot game of euchre. Hope to get an early start tomorrow with an attempt to make it to Great Falls, Montana though it's 460 miles away. We'll see.
347 miles yesterday, 343 miles today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb