May 1--Wyoming to Idaho on Oregon Trail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
May 9th 2011
Published: May 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, May 1, 2011 Holiday Inn, Lander, WY Clear—thank goodness. 4967 mileage start.

Had breakfast at the hotel and worked until 11:30 on blog, e-mails, and such. Extremely steep climb out of Lander into a gorgeous red canyon. Had to drop Rosie II into a lower gear. Area reminded us of Bryce and Zion canyons in Utah. Snow on ground and on the Wind River Mountains. Watched a herd of about 100 elk on a grassy hill through our binoculars. Spotted a golden marmot the size of a cat which thankfully decided not to argue with Rosie for the right away.
Came up and over South Pass at 7,550+. This is the continental divide where all water on the western side flows to the Pacific Ocean. This low pass, which was about 20 miles wide was the geological feature that allowed everyone to cross the Rockies by wagon---going west and east prior to the construction of railroads in 1870.

Took highway 28 and at Farson got gas at $3.759 mileage 5047. Saw and watched ducks and glossy Ibises in the Big Sandy River and ate lunch.

From Amanda, “June the 29th: Went on, crossed Little Sandy, 7 miles further, Big Sandy, good banks and water, quite a streem, we here filled our water vessels, then enter a barren desert, 21 miles across, but little grass or water from 41 ½ miles, little sandy, passed several Indian tents near Big Sandy..the grass poor, the only fuel, wild sage…” The area reminded us a lot of Nevada and Arizona. We were certain that it hadn’t changed except for the asphalt roads, rail lines, and telephone poles since Amanda and company went through.

Around Cokeville we crossed into the Bear River Valley and began to see migrating Sand Hill cranes and elk. There used to be coke mines in this area, but we didn’t see the mine or any other coal mines for that matter. It was a very attractive area and there were many farms that seemed to be growing winter wheat and getting ready for new crops.

Crossed into Idaho. Never saw so many dead deer and some elk on the sides of the road for at least 20-25 miles. At least 50 in one stretch of road. Drove through several snow showers in the passes toward evening. Made it to Pocatello by 7:30 and found a KOA at which to stay. Expensive at $35 per night, but too cold for a Wal-mart stay. The neighboring “farm” had several horses, several llamas, a burro, and an ostrich. We were waiting for a giraffe to stick its head out.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb