Wyoming


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
September 25th 2008
Published: September 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After we left Salt Lake, we saw horses, cattle, sheep, goats, and llamas in green,grassy meadows in a beautiful valley after Park City. Then there were fabulous cliffs of orange sandstone. Then we started to see antelope.
We got into Wyoming at Evanston. It's at 6700 feet and on the high plains. Every offramp had a big sign and a gate that said "Road closed if flashing.
Return to ______________". Winter blizzards must be something else.There are banks and banks of snowfences all along the highway and lots of wind generators. I think that's a major clue. Some of the mountains still have a little snow or glaciers. The pockets of aspen are beautiful.
There are lots and lots of trucks going in both directions. Why aren't more goods sent on trains?
We stopped in Rock Springs for lunch and Nancy insisted that Rich see a doctor at a "Docs in a Box" otherwise known as Urgent Care. The doctor said Rich had pulled his hamstring and should do some stretching exercises. He also gave him some anti-inflammatory pills which helped a lot.
Soon in every direction, there were no more mountains, just rolling hills and a few mesas or buttes. Aroung 5:00 we crossed the Continental Divide
near South Pass at 6930 feet. There were oil pumpers and oil tanks on the hills about every quarter mile. New wells were being drilled, and there were long trains with many tanker cars and coal cars.
We stopped for the night in Rawlins. We hooked up our new TV to the cable TV connection at the RV park to see if it worked and to watch the news!
Also, it was the first night we had wi-fi to start our blog. Remember, readers, you can add your comments and questions and read others' comments at the end of each blog entry.
We fell asleep to the wild Wyoming wind and the whistles of the trains.



Advertisement



29th September 2008

As I Said
Alright! You are now technogeeks. Go Wifi! And motels and public libraries and schools have internet, too. Look for restaurants, bars, and public places, like parks and court houses for free Wifi, too. So, it would seem this trip is going to be about injuries, huh? I've been on the interstate from Denver to Cheyenne, across southern Wyoming, and into Salt Lake City. Is that the route you're going on?
30th September 2008

yes
You got that part right. except for the Denver portion. After Cheyenne, we continued on "80" and will follow it almost to New York. Then we swing north.

Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb