Day 6 - God Bless Grandma Stanley.


Advertisement
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Holy ****Holy ****Holy ****

This took quite a toll on our brakes!
We headed out early to get to our farthest destination, Yellowstone National Park. Jason started the day driving, but Carrie took over as Jason received some bad news. Grandma Stanley had passed that morning. Luckily, we had just seen her about a month ago at Mandy’s graduation party. She seemed so happy that day and she was talking our ears off. Glad we had the opportunity to see her and spend time with her so recently. We will miss you Grandma Stanley.

We then continued our trip westward because Jason’s Mom said Grandma would want us to finish our trip. Jason also knew Grandma would want us to go on. So, with our hearts heavy, we continued west. Jason took the wheel in Sheridan, WY. Good thing too. The mountains are beautiful, but those switchbacks and steep grades in the road are just too much for Carrie. The grade reached 10% down in some places and we had to stop at least twice to give the brakes a chance to cool. By the time we reached Cody, WY, the brakes weren’t the only thing to need a rest. We took a short break in Cody as Jason’s cousin, Sean, had
Nice viewNice viewNice view

This was a view on the road from Cody to Yellowstone.
just moved there two weeks ago. He is now the head coach of the Yellowstone Quakes Hockey Team. Go Quakes! We had dinner with Sean at a local Mexican restaurant and he showed us around town a little. We even got to see where his team would play. All too soon, we had to continue our quest to the west.

The road got a little easier, but Jason continued driving. Carrie sat in the passenger seat with camera in hand. There were some amazing views! Views never to be forgotten! We had to travel about 27 miles into Yellowstone just to get to the Fishing Bridge RV Park! That should give you some idea on how big the park is. We made it to our campsite at Yellowstone well before dark. ALL campsites in the park were full, so thanks to Jason, who made our reservation back in January, we had a place to stay.

Although it sure seemed like a lot more, we only drove 471 miles today. It took us a nail biting 9 hours and 21 minutes to get to our campsite. Due to conditions beyond our control (see above 10% grade and mountain roads)
YNPYNPYNP

Welcome to Yellowstone.
it took us about an hour more than planned to get to our campsite.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

All Full UpAll Full Up
All Full Up

Luckily, we'd made our reservations in January.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb