Yellowstone


Advertisement
Published: July 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yellowstone was grand! We started right around the west thumb area and did the loop around.It took all day,all of 6 hours or so but it was worth it.The road twists and turns.Mountain views,mixed in with hot springs,creek rapids,lakes and some glorious trees that dotted the roadways.Almost every kind of rugged forest and mountain terrain that you can imagine.The weather was perfect.I was there in July and it was in the mid 60's,light jacket weather,being a native of the south and used to hot temps and high humidity this weather was just right.The hot springs around the Mammoth cave area were breathtaking.Steamboat geyser was a sight to see.And Emerald springs had the most amazing unearthly green tones to them.As you walk along the trails the smell of sulfur fills the air and you feel as if you are on another planet.A small glimpse of what it was like over 500,000 years ago..Ahh to have been a pre-pangea fly on the wall in Yellowstone back then.

Then of course there was Old Faithful.I was able to make my way to the front through the tourist crowds to get a good spot to wait for the world famed geyser.However Old Faithful was well..semi-faithful on this day as he went off about 7 minutes late.He teased the crowd several times with small bursts of water then back down into the plume,almost as if he was taunting the millions of tourists that he must get tired of.I laughed to myself when I saw the looks on peoples faces when he almost erupted.."Silly humans" I thought",this is a small part of a hyrdrothermal vent that you are standing on..he will blow when he darn well feels like it.." And he did.When Old Faithful decided to let us see his gift it was amazing! When the plume went off it was virtually silent.I wouldve thought that with such an eruption it wouldve been louder of sorts but it wasnt,just a silent stack of water.Quite majestic,to see Old Faithful was one that i can now cross off of my bucket list.

At the center of the park is serene Yellowstone Lake.With the view of the gallatin mountain ridge which was formed after the last eruption over 500,000 years ago,you get an idea of the massive volcanic caldera that you are literally in the middle of.

Such beautiful country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

We have arrived!!We have arrived!!
We have arrived!!

Me arriving in West Yellowstone


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb