Day one in Yellowstone


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So, what did we see our first day in Yellowstone? Try 3 Grizzlies, one blackbear, one elk (I think), Bison, Deer, several geysers, mud volcanoes, waterfalls, yadda yadda yadda.

We started out the day in Jackson Hole, WY, getting up at 5:30 to leave for Yellowstone, driving through the Tetons.

We got to the entrance of the park and drove, and drove, and drove. We actually drove through parts of the park that were burned in the fires of '88 and the damage is still quite apparent. It'll take at least another 50 years for the forrest to recover. While driving we came across 3 deer grazing on the side of the road.

Old Faithful was the first on the list as we wanted to beat the crowds and we were not disappointed.

We saw several geysers, hot springs and gorgeous scenery but the highlight of the day was a Grizzly bear. We left the park around 2:00 to check into our room at Gardiner so we could leave for an evening drive on the East end of the park. One of the store workers told us to go at dusk to the East end of the park so we could see some of the wildlife coming out at night. On our way there we saw a Black Bear. Well, we saw it's butt. So we kept on driving suddenly on the side of the road was a 300-400 pound Grizzly bear not 30 feet from us. We managed to snap a few pictures as it was leaving.

About 10 minutes after that we ran into an Elk in a clearing.

In all, we took about a hundred pictures yesterday. I'm having some difficulty getting all of the images up so I will upload them as soon as I can... including the Grizzly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

First picture from YellowstoneFirst picture from Yellowstone
First picture from Yellowstone

We were driving in to Yellowstone and came across some deer grazing in a meadow. Then 2 of them started to play. It didn't look like fighting since there was a mare just a few feet away which was probably their mother.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb