Travelling to Yellowstone


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Snuggling in for the RideSnuggling in for the RideSnuggling in for the Ride

Little Z snuggles in with Wish Bear for more driving in the truck.
Tuesday morning we wake up early and pack up the trailer one last time in Utah. Heading out on the road we go north. A quick stop outside of Utah for some breakfast and a quick walk we are back on the road headed to Idaho Falls for lunch.
In Idaho Falls we do some shopping at Walmart for food and some pet wipes to clean off Colby after his dip in the lake. Lunch is a nearby Wendy’s and we are back on the road north traveling through increasingly greener country.
Around 2:00pm we pass into our fifth state, Montana. From there it’s a short distance to the west entrance of Yellowstone.
We pay our gate entry fee of $25 for 7 days (even though we will be here but 4). Through the gate we are at last in Yellowstone!

The west side of the park seems to be a recovering area from a forest fire probably from several years ago. We follow along a river and through forested areas and it’s not long before we see our first animals: Bison. We also see Elk walking across a field, and many birds flying around. Turning around one corner
View from a Rest StopView from a Rest StopView from a Rest Stop

We couldn't quite make it to the West Entrance and needed a bathroom break and drinks. Here is a picture I took from the truck just before hitting the road again.
we come upon a Coyote making his way into the brush. After missing a turn to Canyon, we pull into a viewpoint to take a brake and get heading the right way. The field next to us has several Bison in it, and right at the road we just passed through a couple is tromping their way across. We give Colby a brake and Little Z gets her first look at these large animals.

Back in the truck we make our way to Canyon and then turn south. We travel along a beautiful river area that winds through vast grassland valleys. There are many Bison throughout this road. We slow down a couple times whenever they are really close to the road, but otherwise juts make our way down.
Finally we arrive at Fishing Bridge. We pull into the check-in lot and get our assignment: F239. Zeddicus backs the trailer in (with help from Zorah) and gets it leveled and secure. This is the fasted trailer setup yet because the way this lot is set up, the truck completely blocks the road until you unhook it and park the truck next to the trailer. Zorah hops into the trailer
Our First View of BuffaloOur First View of BuffaloOur First View of Buffalo

Zorah snapped this picture for us with Buffalo in the background.
and starts getting things organized in there. Little Z picks a bunch of flowers (dandelions) and arranges them on a log all with their stems pointed the same way. A rock display appears shortly after on the stump next to the flowers.
Dinner is cheese, tomato and spinach sandwiches (supposed to have bologna but the bologna was tossed into the freezer on accident).
The mosquitoes in the Fishing Bridge area are ferocious. We spray each other down right away and notice that the first thing that most people do when getting out of their trucks is to reach for the bug spray. After this first day we learn that between about 5 and 8 in the evenings is the worst time for them.
Zeddicus, Little Z, and Colby go for a walk around the camp-site. We see several little chipmonks running around in the trees and by some trailers. We are very careful though, because bears frequent this area and a few Coyotes had been seen very recently (we find out the next morning that 3 were sighted in the trailer area next to ours).



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Relaxing in our TrailerRelaxing in our Trailer
Relaxing in our Trailer

Finally made it to Yellowstone and are set up. Little Z and Colby kick back on the couch.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb