Dinos & The Oregon Trail


Advertisement
Published: May 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On our way through Wyoming we came upon Thermopolis, a huge dinosaur bone discovery site. This is the home of "Jimbo", the 2nd largest Supersaurus found in the world. He sure was super. 😊

They had a lot of cool dinos, and a great concise and interesting display showing the evolution and ages of dinosaurs and the reptiles/fishies that came before. It was neat, and they also offer these day packages to go and actually dig in their dig site, with a little training in the how-tos.

Then we moved on to Guernsey, Wyoming, where there are two major points of interest dating back from the time of The Oregon Trail. First, wagon ruts. Yep. The wagons rode over the same slab of sandstone in such volume for so long that their wagon wheels actually dug a rut IN THE STONE! Crazy, huh?

The second site is Register Cliff, where many of the settlers signed their names to the side of a big jutting rock outside of some camps that were set up for them to comfortably stay for a while under the protection of soldiers. We saw a name predating the trail, from 1808, to the Trail's 1860-1880's, and then more modern names of people passing through even after that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



30th May 2007

I LOVED the dinos! When I was wee, I wanted to dig up dinos when I grew up . . . but . . . I thought all the good stuff would have been all ready dug up by then!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb