Saratoga to Rawlins 45 miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Rawlins
July 14th 2018
Published: July 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today was a rather unremarkable day. I rode 45 miles including a 3 mile detour to the the historic Fort Steele.

Fort Steele was built on the North Platte River in 1868 to protect the large Sheep Ranches that were located in this part of Wyoming. The Fort was under frequent attack by the Ute Indians. The location below the bluffs was strategically impossible to defend and it was dicommisioned via a treaty in 1886.

Fort Steele then became a sheep shearing settlement where 800,000 lbs of wool was shipped East via the Union Pacific Railroad every year.

The railroad still operates today.

There is very little left of the Fort except a few signs. It certainly was not worth the detour.

Today was also the first time since I left Virginia that the published route put us on the shoulder of I-80 for ten miles.

Although the shoulder was 12 feet wide, that still seemed quite narrow when trucks are wizzing by at 70 MPH.

I was very glad to get off the Freeway! However, the route then continued past the Sinclair Oil Refinery, smells and all.

I finally arrived in Rawlins
The route put us on the I-80 for 10 miles.The route put us on the I-80 for 10 miles.The route put us on the I-80 for 10 miles.

I stayed right on the edge of the gravel.
and settled in a Comfort Suites for the day.

Tomorrow I am planning a 65 mile ride to Jeffrey City.

So far the wind has been pretty benign. Let’s hope it stays that way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Another view of bluffs North of the Fort.Another view of bluffs North of the Fort.
Another view of bluffs North of the Fort.

Apparently the Ute’s were able to attack from top of the Bluffs and the Fort was indefensible.
The Parco InnThe Parco Inn
The Parco Inn

This Hotel was built as the most Elegant highlight of the town built by the Producers and Refiners Oil Company in 1925. Parco fell on hard times during the Great Depression and the refinery was sold to Sinclair Oil and is still operating today.


15th July 2018

Almost There!
Cuz! I've got a room booked for you at The Rodeway Inn in Lander. Still planning on coming to visit with you Monday. I'll head down there 11:30-ish. Should be there around 2 or so. See you very soon! Hope Jeffrey City isn't too hard on you (wink).

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb