The Grand Teton


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Jackson Hole
July 26th 2014
Published: August 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The TargetThe TargetThe Target

The view of the Grand from our temporary home base just outside of Jackson.
To celebrate my 30th birthday, my sister convinced me to do "something big." After a few months of procrastination, we (Chris, Danielle and myself) decided around Christmas of 2013 to climb the Grand Teton on my birthday weekend. Climbing to an elevation of 13,775 was going to take some work for all of us, not only because of our lack of mountain climbing experience, but also due to the difference in oxygen levels for my Sea-Level-Living siblings. Their training and conditioning was enough to overcome the physical challenges that we expected, but we really were not sure what we signed up for.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Planning MeetingPlanning Meeting
Planning Meeting

Pregame meeting to check hydration levels and come up with a plan of attack for the adventure at hand.
Support TeamSupport Team
Support Team

Every great feat has a great team behind it, and ours was no exception. Thank you to the entire Bryce family for being there to support us on this adventure.
Exum Mountain GuidesExum Mountain Guides
Exum Mountain Guides

This is where our training classes, and ultimately our Grand Adventure, originated.
TrainingTraining
Training

2 days of Climbing School taught us everything from basic bouldering techniques to free-hanging rappels.
Lesson 1Lesson 1
Lesson 1

It's all about the looks.
Lesson 2Lesson 2
Lesson 2

Sound Effects help propel you up the mountain
The FallsThe Falls
The Falls

Beautiful Waterfall that provided a wonderful cold breeze at the end of our Climbing School days.
Rappelling...Rappelling...
Rappelling...

...like a boss.
Novice?  I think notNovice?  I think not
Novice? I think not

We practiced with our packs on in order to prepare us for the real thing. Hard to focus on the task at hand with that scenery behind you...
Game TimeGame Time
Game Time

Clean and Ready to climb. Let's do this!
Team XTeam X
Team X

We morphed from Team Casper to Team X. Our fearless leader "Hound Dog" is on the right.
Let it BeginLet it Begin
Let it Begin

We passed our exams and were given the opportunity to climb the Grand Teton. "Hound Dog", a guide of 20+ years, agreed to take us up the mountain...and more importantly vowed to get us back down.
ProgressProgress
Progress

There were different sections of the 7.6 mile hike up to the Lower Saddle. Some were beautifully groomed trails, others were giant boulder fields. Each section had it's own beauty to add to the landscape.
Break TimeBreak Time
Break Time

"Hound Dog" was nice enough to let us a take a few breathers on the way up. Here Chris can be seen taking in the light breeze...while those downwind of him had to sit down.
CampingCamping
Camping

There were a few different places one could set up a tent on the way up. While the snow fields seemed impressive for late July, they have decreased in size significantly over the years.
Still hiking...Still hiking...
Still hiking...

The Grand never really starts to look small...
Strong RootsStrong Roots
Strong Roots

The tree has died, but the avalanches and rock slides have yet to uproot this Beauty
GlacierGlacier
Glacier

1 of 8 glaciers in Teton National Park.
Preliminary Objective AccomplishedPreliminary Objective Accomplished
Preliminary Objective Accomplished

After 7.6 miles and 5,000 feet of elevation gain, we made it to the lower saddle. Here we will camp for the night and wake up early (3AM) to prepare ourselves for the summit bid.
4 Star Accomodations4 Star Accomodations
4 Star Accomodations

Even at 11,000+ feet, you can still find a place with sleeping pads, sleeping bags, and even some hot water. I was surprised with some dehydrated desert to celebrate my birthday...which was very thoughtful, if not delicious.


6th August 2014

The Grand Teto
I loved your photos and story. Well done.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb