Yellow stone and Grey Tetons


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 6.17.14

Up to drive early, off to Yellowstone. It was cool to watch the scenery change and the Rockiest eat bigger and bigger. Drove the scenic byway 16, through big Horn Canyon which was stunning. Sadly a an empty road, as most travelers miss the scenery and sped past into Yellowstone on I90. Stopped at a small town for a bathroom/gas break. Big Horn National Forest was stunning. We also secured a cabin/tent for the night in Grand Teton. A wall tent, if you will; we hav no idea what to expect, but I am excited to be on a spring 'box spring' with 'mattress' off of the ground.

Gorgeous scenery, we saw some curling horn sheep almost immediately upon entering the park. We ascending up into the snow capped peaks, and we amazed at the elevation. It was also an eye opener to see the devastation of forests fire. Spotted some mule deer, went to the General Store to see about some warmer clothes (it was freezing!),and took a lot of pictures!

Old faithful was right on cue! The initial spurts were all the family thought it was going to do, so it was nice to see their faces when she really let loose. The international atmosphere and cheers from the crowd were awesome. Walked throughout the hotsprings area tried to stay ahead of the ranger led tour. (They're always so slow, and did I mention it was freezing?). A buffalo surprised us by hanging out 25 feet from the path watching us all walk by. So glad the girls saw that solid mass of bulky power up close. We slipped into the Lodge and I decided next time I go, I will be in a place in life I can stay in that gorgeous building. Had some bison burger at the cafe, found Belle some sweatpants, and continued out journey into the grand Tetons. The weather was overcast and drizzly (and about 40 degrees)

The potbelly stove tenin was awesome!! Warmed up very quickly and soone everyone was snuggled up and snoring in their sleeping bags. Matt was on the floor on an air mattress and he ended up being freezing however (ITYS). We wee moving bright and early in the morning due to the snow and frigidness. Had a nice breakfast at the Colter Bay restaurant, (I'm noting how we really seem to get all of these helpful, cute, young male waiters wherever we go....???). We drove through the Tetons, and I was disappointed with the cloudy snowy weather that limited the girls viewing. They assured me they still saw its awesomeness though. Oh, and we took the blurb on a little backroading in the Tetons. Shot her a little muddy!

Jackson Hole is a huge built up high end tourist town now, not the little country town I remembered, so we looked at the antlered archways and breezed through. A lot of driving follows, down through Wyoming, Idaho, Wyoming,Utah, Wyoming, Utah..... In that order. Stopped at a rode side beef jerky stand, John and Doug's jerky and grabbed some elk jerky (and wild Alaskan smoked salmon) for the sagebrush filled ride. Ce came up with a great game, objects alphabet game (since there were zero signs) that had the bored travelers laughing their faces off.

Provo? Wow. Seriously, that part of Utah is gorgeous.

Best hotel ever, comfort inn Beaver,Utah where we decided to give it a two night stint.

Bryce tomorrow!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb