Wyoming High Country - Bighorns


Advertisement
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Portland > NY

Portland >Ochoco NF > Wallowa Whitman NF > Sawtooth Mountains > Grand Teton NP > Yellowstone NP >Beartooth Hwy > Bighorn NF > Black Hills NF > Badlands NP > Palisades SP > Milwaukee, W

From Red Lodge, WY. I spent the morning catching up the blog in the hotel. Sarah had a case of the travel grumpys and just needed some space. A call to Sig and Nas cheered her up though. Last night Theo went to town and partied with the locals. After breakfast at Hank's Place we did laundry. Lots of Harleys in increasing numbers. Sturgis is Aug 4-10th so they are all rolling in. as we headed out of town on route 308 to Belfry we saw that a forest fire had started across from Red Lodge Ski Resort. Talked to a local who said that it was littered with downed timber and had been waiting to burn for years. We turned on 310 S to Lovell and then followed Alt 14 into the Bighorn NF and what they refer to as Wyomings "High Country". Again we were struck with incredible vistas as the winding road climbed steeply to almost 10k feet. Wide open alpine meadows that reminded me of what the Alps may look like. They were full of wild flowers. Domininant were purple penstimons and some yellow flower.Sometimes the yellow would give way to the purple creating huge fields of purple (mountain majesty). We are now camping in the Bighorn Mountains in Wyomings "High Country" at Sibley Lake campground. We had intended to just spend one day, but the weather is so mild and the scenery so awesome that we are going to stay another day or so. I am going down to get a fishing license for a few days to try some of these awesome looking creeks and rivers. I don't have the photos off the cameras yet but will add them asap.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb