DAY 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Beloit
August 1st 2010
Published: August 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

GR Driving in IL GR Driving in IL GR Driving in IL

Focused, determined . . .
this is my first day "on the road" blog ... please be patient ... wrote in word last night and will attempt to transfer it to this site ... don't know what will happen ...




DAY 1



D day finally arrived … about2 p.m. Greg and I pushed off for Alaska … our first stop was at the lock smith for a hitch lock for the aliner … they were closed … so down the road to ace hardware … we finally wound up using a clevis pin … we can keep the trailer hitch from opening, however, we cannot lock the trailer hitch …

The dodge caravan pulls the aliner like a dream … if we go up a hill it shifts into third, which is great … even though we are headed west

We are camped at a red-neck kind of campground just north of Beloit Wisconsin that is on a river which even is grossly overflowing its banks … [remember, last week milwalkee had 8 inches
campgroundcampgroundcampground

High water
of rain in an hour] … for the quality of the campground 31 dollars per campsite is sorta steep … I’m typing this blog in a bar that is on the lake here at the campground … very noisy and very dark … no wi-fi, so tomorrow we will stop at a panera and shift the blog form … can find everything except my sleeping pills so tonight will be interesting …

Greg’s driving style and mine are highly compatible … we took exercise breaks every hour or so … think I have found a driver … great!

Greg and I are highly compatible travelers …

We stopped about an hour before sunset and easily found a campground …

Greg took pictures while I put up the aliner … took probably 2 minutes because of the pictures … the other day Gordon timed me at 24 seconds …

Each day I am going to describe the best thing and the worst thing of the day …

For me the best thing today is that I had just finished loading the van one minute before Greg and his parents drove up … the worst thing is that I may get a ticket for going through 2 toll areas using my I-Pass, and after thinking about it, I may surprise susie with two tickets in the mail …

this is my first real blog using this site ... please be patient ... the blog will get better ... i have no idea if the pictures that i'm trying to post will come through ...

-thankyouforyourpatiencerichard


Greg adding something:
Richard is a man with great knowledge and experience and a considerable amount of patience - learning this and so much about the history of the land and people of our travels was the "best" of the day. The worst - not being able to touch and feel and walk in each of the beautiful areas we pass. Each town, person, forest or field - a whole day - a week.

Richard is right now, at this moment teaching a young boy he met at random in Panera to read. He teaches by reading together with the boy out loud - seemingly using momentum and speed to encourage confidence and teach. The boy's father looks on wondering if Richard is real or not. As Richard wishes them a nice day - the boy says he's getting it. It seems like he was.

Luckytobealonggreg


richard again ...

wasn't able to add photos ... will add them later ...

-sendingrichard




Advertisement



2nd August 2010

Thanks for Sharing
Richard, So glad to hear the beginnings of your trip. Will look forward to daily updates. What a grand time you are having. Sharon and Don
2nd August 2010

Alaska bound
Hi yo grandfather and Greg. We are looking forward to seeing you both when you guys get up here. We have been working a lot! Abbey and I had the pleasure of a 14 hour day today because we 'assisted' a vessel in distress. Fun fun fun, I hope all is good on the road, be safe.
6th August 2010

So it begins
Hey, WOW! what a great start to your adventure!! Many blessings on the trip and I will be looking forward to blog.

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb