Sliding down into West Virginia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » West Virginia
February 24th 2019
Published: February 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Sunday morning dawned clear and cold. With the rig teed up in the driveway, all we needed was to prep the house (again) for a long absence. It was just 3F when I fired up the truck to give it a good warm-up before we headed out. The roads were clear and dry as we left home. It remained sunny all the way to Syracuse, though the clouds started to build in from the west as we passed Rochester. It was overcast in Buffalo, but the threatened snow held off. It was surprising to see no show at all on the ground there. Only a few light flurries all the way to Erie, where we headed south towards Pittsburgh on I79.

It was at that point that our luck ran out, the system that had been approaching from the west caught us around Grove City, and the driving got a little nasty. First light snow, then sleet, then a heavy wet snow that turned the road to a slushy mess. It wouldn't be bad ordinarily, but I don't fancy pulling the Fred through it. We carried on though, and by Pittsburgh it turned to a heavy rain, less slippery, but in the dark now the visibility was poor. We landed at a Crackerbarrel just south of Morgantown WV where we were happy to grab one of their RV slots and call it a day. Say what you will about their food, it is always a great place to crash for the night.

The next day we would be heading on to the south and west, headed to Bowling Green KY to visit with one of Cathy's old buddies.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb