Morgantown


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » West Virginia » Morgantown
November 3rd 2021
Published: February 25th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Rather than drive straight through to Athens, Ohio, Susan and I had decided to break the trip into two days. We checked in to the Hampton Inn in the midst of the University of West Virginia (WVU) campus. The hotel was across the street form the university's medical school and hospital.

Morgantown is named for Zackquill Morgan, a frontiersman who plotted the town in 1783. It is the seat of the University f West Virginia. An interesting item I discovered about Morgantown is that it has a monorail, the Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit. Built in 1975-1978, the 3.6 mile (5.8 km) system connects downtown Morgantown to the university and university medical campuses. It is used principally by WVU students, faculty and staff. By chance, our hotel room looked right out towards the beamway and we could observed the small automated vehicles, similar to an airport transit system, making their rounds.

Dinner was at the Applebee's next door to the hotel. We found Morgantown a very satisfactory stopover and will plan to do it again on our next trip to Ohio.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

MorgantownMorgantown
Morgantown

DSC_0516p1


2nd March 2022
Morgantown Monorail

Beautiful fall colors
Nice

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb