Harpers Ferry


Advertisement
Published: February 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Harpers Ferry (WV)


John BrownJohn BrownJohn Brown

Place where John Brown held stand for 3 minutes before the US Marines took him and his men out
Well arrived in the US, friday was a working day for my brother and family, so we opted for a small outing. The weather was wonderful just above zero and clear skies. Had thought about showing the White House to the children, but I had another idea to visit Harpers Ferry, 1½ hours away from Baltimore. Arriving, we could see it was a perfect time to visit - the parking lot had space for a thousand cars, and there were maybe a couple of other cars beside ours. A small shuttle drives along the Shenandoa river down to lower Harpers Ferry. The historic site is a nice place with interesting history and many small museums dedicated to persons or civil war subjects. A couple of places were open, like a small pub/restaurant where we had lunch. The two rivers, the Potomac (which is the one running through Washington DC further down) and the Shenandoa rivers meet here, and was also the reason for the many battles during the Civil War since it was a centre for weapon production.
Harpers Ferry is on the eastern tip of West Virginia, meaning I got my 34th US State on my map.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

PotomacPotomac
Potomac

Pillar from the old bridge spanning the Potomac


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb