Day 98: There and Back Again


Advertisement
Published: March 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Most of the people in my sleeping car were also bound for Pittsburgh, so the sleeping-car attendant simply banged on our doors to wake us up, calling, "35 minutes to Pittsburgh!"

I thought it seemed a bit early, and it was; the train was ahead of schedule. That was only appropriate, I suppose, considering how very late it had been when I set out.

I dressed and packed my suitcase quickly enough, and then spent all the rest of the time looking frantically for my CozyWinters scarf. Eventually -- but not before I had searched every inch of the roomette and gone to check the restroom and shower room -- I found it in my jacket pocket.

I stepped off the train into predawn darkness, and there at the station door was Jim. He took my bags, of course, and then we waited downstairs for the checked bag. I was very relieved when I saw it being brought out; it had all my souvenirs in it, including the greenstone and the picture.

We went to our motel. I had breakfast, and then said that I thought we might as well get on the road. But I lay down to rest for a minute first, and the next thing I knew it was after 11. Luckily Jim had requested late check-out.

We were right next door to a casino, so I spent a dollar and fifty cents on penny slots -- specifically, "Enchanted Unicorn;" I love its artwork. Then we had lunch at Applebee's in Morgantown, and went to Kroger's for groceries, and then we turned off I-79 onto Route 250, and presently I was home.

There was snow on the ground, and it was still a little cold for me, but I shall stay inside until it's warm enough for me to breathe the air. The house was a bit cold too; Jim brought me a heater. As I'd expected, my bed seemed huge; I hadn't expected my bedroom to seem large too, but it did, perhaps by comparison with the roomette. And I kept looking out the window at our woods, and expecting to see giant ferns and spiky flax trees.

I went to the other side of the world, "to the parts where people walk about upside-down," as Prince Caspian says in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I don't know what I've learned there, except that there are a lot of nice people in New Zealand -- and, through Nicole and the people who've written me about this blog, that there are nice people in my own country too. But I think it was probably worth it.

Advertisement



8th March 2011

I'm sad
.....actually happy for you that you're home, you had such interesting experiences, and now your health concerns can be attended to. but sad too as i really enjoyed reading your blogs. i've gone back and read some of the first ones that i missed, but it's just not the same as getting the email link and knowing you've just had those experiences you describe. Thanks a lot for sharing with us --and I'm relieved for you that the train trip wasn't so painful for your collarbone!
9th March 2011

Well done! You are incredibly brave to have undertaken such a difficult journey and to have managed to do and see so much while you were in New Zealand. I really enjoyed your blog although I was really worried about you at times. You are a great inspiration to all we reluctant travelers. Best Wishes, Penny (one of your GO followers).
9th March 2011

Welcome Home
Meredith, I have read every single day of your travel blog with great interest. What a trooper you are. Thanks for taking us there and back again. I hope you will continue your daily blog even though you're back from New Zealand!
9th March 2011

Thank you!
It's been exciting to experience your trip to the other side of the world vicariously! Some parts were enjoyable, some were painful. But I know it's a trip you'll never forget, and I appreciate your sharing it here.
9th March 2011

Welcome Home!!!
Oh, Meredith, welcome, welcome home! I can't tell you how happy I am that you made it home safe, dear friend. You should know that YOU are one of the nicest people in BOTH countries. And when can we set up another rendez-vous with you & Jim again? I have missed you so much since the last one.
9th March 2011

Well done
Thank you for sharing your trip with us. You've encouraged me to make a trip by train across the US, which I have never done before. And your exciting journey to NZ - awoderful journey. Well done. Lindley
9th March 2011

Thank You
I've enjoyed reading your blog during this whole trip. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'll probably never get to New Zealand, but through you I feel as if I've experienced some of it. I hope you get plenty of rest now and feel much better soon.
11th March 2011

I hope you'll enjoy the train trip! The roomettes are tiny, but they do have all the essentials, including reading lights for each seat and each bunk.
11th March 2011

It'll be a while before I can travel, Karen. I should be okay by this summer, unless the shoulder's much worse than I think it is. Maybe we'll be able to get together then.
27th April 2011

Wow, that was a great blog and trip you took. I worked with Jim at Dominion for many years and he shared your blog link with Sharlene who shared with me and I'm glad she did. You are such a great writer. I've enjoyed sharing in your trip, your ups and your downs. The experiences were amazing. I commend you for taking on such an adventure with both your health and an alone woman in a different part of the world for several months. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us! Tell Jim I said Hi and I hope he's enjoying his job.

Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb