North Cascades, San Juans, and Olympics


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington
August 2nd 2011
Published: August 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Michelle and I took a week off and explored North Cascades National Park, the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound, and Olympic National Park. Thanks to a cold spring, we hit the snowline just beyond the trailhead of each of our six dayhikes. Luckily we had waterproof boots and never lost the trail for more than 20 minutes at a time. As dayhikers trespassing on the territory of mountaineers, we had incredible views of the surrounding peaks.

We chuckled our way through the themed towns of Winthrop and Leavenworth and we were very impressed at the vibrance of community in Bellingham and Port Townsend. Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor on San Juan Island were very touristy but fun places to spend a few hours. Heading back to Spokane was difficult as we descended from the lush, mountain forest into the dry, endless prairie of central Washington.

The pictures are ordered chonologically. I hope you all are having a great summer!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Friendly deer in these National ParksFriendly deer in these National Parks
Friendly deer in these National Parks

I guess becuase there's no hunting.
Boundary Bay brewpubBoundary Bay brewpub
Boundary Bay brewpub

Great sampler! Boundary Bay is an internationally renowned microbrewery.
San Juan Islands San Juan Islands
San Juan Islands

We looked for Killer Whales but didn't see any unfortunately.
Roche HarborRoche Harbor
Roche Harbor

The San Juan Islands reminded me of Maine and some of the touristy towns felt much like Bar Harbor.
Port TownsendPort Townsend
Port Townsend

A great little town at the foot of the Olympic range with a lot of nice dockside pubs serving Port Townsend Brewing Co.
Dickerman PeakDickerman Peak
Dickerman Peak

Taller that any point in Maine but one of the smallest peaks in the North Cascades.
A nice view from DickermanA nice view from Dickerman
A nice view from Dickerman

Mt Rainier visible from over 100 miles to the south!
Expedition up Mt BakerExpedition up Mt Baker
Expedition up Mt Baker

The thin horizontal line halfway up the shadow is a team of 12 intending to summit the following day. We made it to High Camp where the peak is another five hours away.
Black Bear!Black Bear!
Black Bear!

Luckily we had no grizzly bear encounters but we saw two black bears
The german-themed LeavenworthThe german-themed Leavenworth
The german-themed Leavenworth

I heard that Leavenworth lost its main industry so decided to boost tourism by emulating bavaria.


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb