Our First days in the RV


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Spokane
February 14th 2017
Published: February 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

In February 2016, we made a decision to sell our 31 ft class C and upgrade to the class A, so we started shopping around. It did not take long to find a great deal on a new Vista LX 35f that was being shipped to Prescott Arizona. Affinity RV was exceptional in getting us the right price for the package we wanted. We started our first adventure in the RV, driving from Prescott to Laughlin Nevada. A nice little oasis on the boarder with RV parks, Casinos and shopping. Though we did not spend much time there, we loaded up with the necessities that we would need on our journey north. Our first night in the RV was a late roll in to Canyon Trail RV Park in Boulder City. It is not a huge park by any means, but the staff was very helpful and the facilities were great. We plan to choose this park again the next time we roll through.



The next day we were off to Las Vegas to do a little more shopping and fuel up for the long drive ahead. Between Henderson and Vegas is a Wal-Mart shopping center that has some great restaurants. Good stop for what we forgot to get in Laughlin, there is always something when you first start out. After breakfast, we are headed north on highway 15 to 93 and then up the Great Basin Highway. Our impression was that although it was a bit chilly (about 37f ) it was inspiring to see the formations, some wildlife and country that Julie and I had not seen before.The RV, which we have since named “DreamCatcher” handled very well on the road and we made very good time. Just past Alamo NV, we turned off to Hwy 318 which was the shortest route our GPS mapped to Twin Falls Idaho. Traffic was not an issue and seeing some of the “off the beaten path” countryside kept our interest. With our next turn on to highway 6, we were headed to Ely where we topped off the fuel tank and grabbed a little bit to eat. Heading north again on 93 once more, we headed for the boarder of Nevada. Stopping in Jackpot Nevada for fuel and dinner, we rested up a little bit before the next push. Destination, Twin Falls RV Park, just outside the city and another late roll in. The park staff helped get us located in a good spot and we shut down for the night. It was a bit windy, there was a storm rolling through that was dropping temps down to 28, but the we stayed warm and slept well.

On to the last leg of our first adventure the next morning after a hearty breakfast in the new RV, plenty of snacks to keep us going and after refueling in Twin Falls, we were headed north on I 84 toward Oregon. Through La Grande and over the mountains to Pendleton on the Old Oregon Trail. I recommend making sure you are ready for the climb and descent down the west side of the mountains, with a stop at Dead Mans Rest area to check all is well before the downward part of the crossing. We encountered heavy crosswinds once on the flats and had a few bird strikes when flocks of small birds would get carried in front of us by the winds.



Taking the I 82 exit, we headed to Umatilla, Kennewick and Pasco for our crossing into Washington State. We came through during rush hour, but were able to get into a gas station to top off the tank and grab a little bit of snacks for the next few days. Taking 395 north, turning on to 23 and then 28 headed for our destination of Davenport. Where we parked the rig and flew home, waiting for the first of May when the highway to Alaska would be clear and we were ready for the next adventure up the AL-CAN highway. All in all, a great trip and good shake down run for the new RV.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb