Wed 26 May


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Spokane
May 26th 2010
Published: May 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wed, 26 May, 2010

First I need to correct the name of the river I talked about in the blog yesterday - - it was NOT the Cascade River - - It was the Payette River.

Woke up to another drizzly, cloudy day. Saw the little red fox gate guard on our way out of the campground. We drove a short distance north on ID 55 to New Meadows and took US 95 north. It follows the Little Salmon River north to where the river bends to the west to dump into the Snake River. We saw lots of salmon fishermen, both on the banks and in boats. We saw one guy in a boat that was fighting a fish. There were a number of Indians along the side of the road selling fresh caught salmon. Had there been anywhere to pull off the road, we’d have stopped to buy a couple pounds if it. At one point just after the road split with the Salmon River, we climbed a 2000+ ft grade on a new road. The old road was just to the east of us and I got a pretty good picture of it, with all of it’s switch backs. We made it to Spalding, ID and the visitors center for the Nez-Perce National Historic Park. It was a really nice VC with really good exhibits and lots of art and photos. Ate lunch in the parking lot and got on the road. We broke out into the Palouse and drove through it all the way to Spokane. Wound up in a State Park on the west edge of Spokane - - Beautiful river and very nice campground, though a bit pricey.
Might make it to Canada tomorrow. This AM, the weather forecast was for 100% change of thunderstorms tomorrow - - we shall see.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The rigs at Lunch The rigs at Lunch
The rigs at Lunch

Outside the Nez-Perce Historic Park Visitors Center, Spalding, ID


27th May 2010

double Wow
How could you pass up a good mess of salmon---park in the middle of the road if nothing else. When we went out to the Rockies last year, we saw where the baby salmon had just hatched and were in the spot they would live for the next year before heading upstream. We never did see a fox. Lots of other wildlife though. love, j

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb