Space age and glass sculptures


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
March 29th 2016
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Pike Place MarketPike Place MarketPike Place Market

Go early to avoid the crowds.
Geo: 47.6353, -122.302

The Space Needle is the most recognised structure in Seattle and a stay in the city must include a visit to this icon.

But first we went to Pike Place Market. It is a public market for farmers to sell direct to the public, thereby cutting out the middleman, known as the jobber, and securing a more reasonable return for their hard work. We saw the fishmongers tossing fish from one person to another, often with customers sitting under the "flight path" to cheering, and less courageous, crowds. One hopes that they only throw the same fish, or perhaps it will be sold at a knock down price at the end of the day; slightly handled.

The Space Needle, although looking a bit retro nowadays, is still an impressive structure. Built in 1962 for the World Expo and took just over a year to complete. The views from the observation deck, level 65, were breath-taking. We were lucky with the weather and could see the distant mountains, especially Mt Rainier, clearly. Like the CN Tower in Toronto, there is a revolving restaurant inside. And like Toronto, the ticket price is deducted from the bill. However, the menu looked a tad expensive, so we opted for the combi ticket with the Chihuly Glass Garden next door.

The glass sculptures by Chihuly were fabulous. Such fantastic forms, vibrant colours and grand designs. The garden looked especially glorious in the sunshine. We are now sorry that we didn't have time to visit the museum in Tacoma. Next time...




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

inside one of the marketsinside one of the markets
inside one of the markets

So many stalls, so little time....
StarbucksStarbucks
Starbucks

This is the mother of all Starbucks- the original coffee shop.
Alaskan HighwayAlaskan Highway
Alaskan Highway

A ugly structure in front of a nice seashore. It will be demolished in a few year's time and replaced by a sea front promenade.
lunch!lunch!
lunch!

A large (beead) bowl of clam chowder. Pretty filling.
Space NeedleSpace Needle
Space Needle

Looking a bit retro now.
Sea lifeSea life
Sea life

Incredibly life like!
vortexvortex
vortex

An gigantic installation.
ChandeliersChandeliers
Chandeliers

A wee bit too big for our rooms.
In the GardenIn the Garden
In the Garden

The glass pieces work really well with the the plants.
Greenhouse installationGreenhouse installation
Greenhouse installation

Chihuly was inspired by the greenhouse at Kew.
Sunny weatherSunny weather
Sunny weather

Who would have believe it? Not a cloud in the sky.
Seafood GumboSeafood Gumbo
Seafood Gumbo

As a starter...
Seafood SautéSeafood Sauté
Seafood Sauté

With rice as the main course.


31st March 2016

It was either an exhibition by this guy that I saw at Kew Gardens or somebody was impersonating him and his works. Fantastic.
31st March 2016

yummmmmmmmm

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb